help! I have a 2003 mercury sable, had a slight oil leak but nothing major. Was on the way to work when my car started jerking like crazy, both the check engine and transmission light came one. The car also wont shift gears.

andreaboyd021
10

Asked by andreaboyd021 Aug 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM about the 2003 Mercury Sable GS

2003 Mercury sable. Took it to a transmission specialist he wasn't sure what the problem was either. Ran his machine and 7 of the electrical codes came up.

Fordtudor37
4,735

Fix per codes and check transmission operation. Now is the time to trade it in if you can afford the new payments.

andreaboyd021
10

I took it to a transmission specialist the Guy ran his machine and it popped up with 7 different electric codes. He said he wasn't sure what the problem was. I'm afraid to bring it back and have him check it out again. You give me no hope when you say take it back if I can afford new payments. Does it sound like an extremely expensive problem?

12,765

Don't go back to that guy! The transmission for your car cast about $1800 to $2000 to either replace or rebuild. Ford dealers have a 3 year warranty if you decide to buy a rebuilt. You could take your chances at a wrecking yard but changing out that tranny in the driveway is A LOT of work if it fails. My associate was referring to replacing the vehicle instead of fixing it. I would strongly weight the value and condition of the vehicle vs. buying another car.