I have a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer that i recently got from a Used car Dealership, the rear end seemed to be making funny noises. I took it in to be checked and they said that it needed to be replaced, would that also make it seem like my transmission is shifting hard?

Aardwin1
0

Asked by Aardwin1 Feb 22, 2013 at 03:37 PM about the 2005 Mercury Mountaineer 4 Dr STD AWD SUV

I havent had the car for but two weeks, and i am very scepticle on this purchase. I think it was a very bad decision on my part, but i had no vehicle and two children. I have no way of getting my money back, and no way to get anything else so i am kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, any and all help would be much appreciated.

14,205

all the rear ends make a whinning noise on those things. if that is the noise your hearing? if it is growling or grinding you may have a bigger issue. but then again those year models are bad for rear wheel bearings which would cause a roaring noise in the rear so it depends on the noise and where it is coming from. i doubt the two problems are related the transmisson could be low on fluid causing the hard shift or it could be something internal its hard to say.

Aardwin1
0

There are loud clunking sounds that come from the back of the car, when i shift in reverse, but is seems like there is a delay in actually moving, then it will jump to go. it makes loud pops when it does actually move. i dont really know how to explain it good. when i went to the dealership to get the problem corrected they seem to want to make me think that its all coming from the rear end because im a woman i think they believe they can get over on me with that. I am just scared i am getting screwed in this deal.

14,205

I would take it and get a second or third opnion if your not sure about the dealer but it sounds like it could very well be the differental. you could have frozen or wore out u-joints on the driveshaft thats about the only other thing i can think of that would pop in the rear like you described.

7jimmy7
9,395

sounds like rear spider gears,a lube may help prolong life and good time for a new opnion theyve seen it all