My car will idle in park, but stalls when I switch gears. Automatic gear. You have to ride brake and accelerator. What is wrong?

jan23
0

Asked by jan23 Mar 19, 2007 at 10:12 AM about the 1996 Mazda 626 LX

LouB
11,570

Hi Jan ... Here's a troubleshooting guide for engine stalling. Hopefully it will get you down the path to your solution ... Good luck! http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/a/bl303b.htm

Andrzej Michalski
140

you have a bad TCC. torqu converter clutch, the fix is replace your torqu converter.

Daniel Reed
1,315

Possible vacuum leak. Will need to use a smoke machine to find it. So, take it to a shop....they have those.

David Kartsonis
85

Sounds like a torque converter... Get that replaced and it should be fine.

Rob Brown
15

Agreed your torque converter is putting too much load on the car at idle. Stator is probably seized.