Timing Belt

drtown
0

Asked by drtown Jun 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM about the 2000 Mazda Millenia 4 Dr STD Sedan

According to the manual, the timing belt should be replaced at or about 115K.  The car has 108K, a 2002 millenium.  I do not know if the timing belt had been replaced, when it was owned by the previous owner.  Is there a way to check this? And, second, what might happen if the timing belt broke, before I managed to get it replaced?

68,035

I would change it if you don't know for piece of mind. I'm sure your mechanic can open the cover first to see the condition of the belt before actually changing it to check for wear. If it broke, you will be stuck wherever you are, and you will need a tow. Will it do damage to the engine, I found conflicting information if your mazda uses an interference engine or not. But you won;t have to worry if you just change the belt. I did see where some mechanics will also recommend chaning out the water pump and hose as well, since it is in near proximity of the belt cover.