What can be wrong when I see the Check Engine light come on and blink?

kmccullo
0

Asked by kmccullo Oct 15, 2007 at 05:43 PM about the 2000 Mazda MPV ES

123,000 miles on this van. It had run very well with no mechanical problems until the Check Engine light came on. It blinks when accelerating and run rough. Mechanic is changing original plugs and wires now and is talking about leaky intake gasket. Is that possible?

papa

what year model is it.have you ever changed the temp control switch, works like a choke on a carb.if bad will run like it is flooded.a good place to start.

29,075

There are literally about 150 reasons why the check engine light could come on. Did the mechanic read the codes? It sounds like he is guessing at reasons. A blinking check engine light is the "second level" of check engine lights. If the light comes on, there is a problem, but if it blinks, there is a problem that immediately needs to be addressed or you risk damaging the catalytic convertor or other components. A leaky intake gasket is possible but I would consider other options first, like a throttle position sensor or 02 sensor.

Best Answer
Andrzej Michalski
200

wrong thank you for playing, a flashing Check eng light is a type A cylinder missfire. so replaceing the spark plugs and wires will be the best first place to start, the valve cover gasket could be leaking oil into the cylinder and caused the missfire. so if i were the responding cargurus i would go back and do my reading on OBD2.

John Haslett
65

a blinking check engine light means that what ever the code is, the computer is getting it right now...

ttdsgnr5
140

Leaky intake gasket is highly possible. The 2.5 liter engines are not known for the issue but I've changed a few on the Ford Contour/Mercury Mystiques and Mercury Cougars. I've also replaced one on a 2000 MPV.