Lost Power while accelerating onto highway

MPV2001
0

Asked by MPV2001 Jan 10, 2011 at 03:44 PM about the 2001 Mazda MPV ES

MPV lost power and nearly quit while entering highway. I had drove some 5 miles before problem occured. No engine light present. Used CODE scanner, no codes retreived (pass). Possible Fuel filter or pump? Has any one had a similar problem?
Drove MPV to work at reduced power (speed). MPV would not start and idle after I tried to go home from work. Mpv starts (now) ok and I can drive, but at low power?

bobbyleveille
320

i have the same problem on my 2000 mpv i changed the fuel pump and it worked for another 2 weeks but now i still have the same problem when i try to press the gas pedal after running for a few minutes it has no power and wants to die so i have no clue on what to do.

You think this is helpful.
gjfixer01
275

i too have the same problem, this van starts and idles perfectly. no codes. can drive at greatly reduced speed and power. at initial foot on the gas it works great til i get about 100 feet down the road and it starts dieing. IAC valve was not my problem, coils are good, fuel pressure over 50 psi, timing checks out too. Any help from anyone would be great.

Kindred
115

My 2001 MPV did the same thing awhile ago, I took it to the shop and they changed the Front catalytic converter. It drove perfect for 3 months. Now its doing it again. These MPV'S have 3 catalytic converters so now I have to change the second one. I'm just hoping it's the cheaper one. Good luck!

Kshanewat1
75

try your throttle position sensor

judge_roy

it is probably the EGR. symptoms tell us this.

Michelle Ann
90

I'm having the same problem with my 2003 MPV. When I accelerate quickly ( merging onto the freeway). It stalls. Did you guys find out what the problem was? Do you still own your van? Maybe it's time for a new car. I can't stall on the freeway I have kids :(

You think this is helpful.
Kindred
115

It ended up being the computer. It was a pricey fix $3500. Also it had something to do with the carborator (I think that's the right part) and the exhaust.

judge_roy

@Kindred...we haven't had carburetors for more than 25 years...oooo

judge_roy

every time I've replaced a computer...it was of no use...did not work, because the problem was at the Grounding...the chassis ground to the battery is CRITICAL...300 amp connection must be present to the chassis ground and to the motor block as well...perhaps could have saved you the money....bit of a snow job going on here~

You think this is helpful.
stranded2
110

I bought a used 2002 Mazda MPV a few weeks ago. When I test drove it, it ran fine. I told the dealer I wanted it. I arranged to pick it up, but was told they found something under the hood needed to be replaced, which took another day. I picked it up the next day and it jerks when it idles and driving down the road and won't go and dies when I try to climb hills. None of this happened when I was test driving it. It seems very strange that this sound happen. Could they have done something to it, making it do this? It came from a reputable dealer.

judge_roy

@stranded2...I'd disassemble and clean the EGR with some brake cleaner~

judge_roy

the fuel pressure regulator is a possibility as well~ https://www.google.com/#q=2001+Mazda+MPV+fuel+pressure+regulator&tb m=shop

jjmtuttle

did you get points for a 3 month old question judge... lol im watching and learning.... cant wait!!!!

judge_roy

No....as a matter of fact have learned about various gremlins over the last year...in fact "Techron" is Benzene or the ilk and deteriorates any organic compounds such as the diaphragm of the fuel pressure regulator....cleans your engine all right~...perhaps you could put a sucking tool on it to see if the diaphragm has action or just leaks into the intake vacuum~

judge_roy

...okay if you don't want to dirty yourself for 35 dollars you can buy a suction tool~ http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-25136-OEM-Vacuum- Pump/dp/B000CMDPBM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1389406966&sr=8- 6&keywords=automotive+tester+suction+tool

judge_roy

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c15925_ds550111 ____for your wise guy self~

jjmtuttle

cmon judge cats out the bag.... your a points pusher! just answer this 1 question... How many user names do you have for this web site? honor your names judge...lol

judge_roy

...what names?...switched to operator_13 for at time out of respect for Tom Deyman....who always answers with the correct answer....and takes NO chances....aside from bob_nueske...who I changed FROM out of respect for his delicious bacon to judge_roy (as Walter Brennan's famous portrayal from this 1944 movie) because this is NOT a real dude who I can offend by using his name~....so not quite sure what you're insinuating....if you know from cars and machines...you rock...please show some courage and give it a whack to see if you've got what it takes to be a TRUE car Guru....c'mon now...EVERY question....show some courage~!

judge_roy

You'll have to spend A LOT of time researching the question...you've got to be a tech wiz too (in case you missed that meeting)~

judge_roy

okay mister smartguy you've again been reported as "attacks an individual"...okay...this is creepy~ why the attacks? always the best answer this greasemonkey can keep up with....also you've been reported to the main office for one who isn't offering "useful" things...at all...frankly am tired of your self-righteous nonsense and will not submit to intimidation...like my good associate and top guru DavidH25 who was and still is my mentor through this~ you have to be willing to learn here because there is always another solution to any problem~ get with the program, jack----you need a sense of humor to survive....perhaps there are classes at the community college for that~

judge_roy

...and why the swearing? it's like stompin' your muddy shoes and yellin' in the temple here....no delicacy.....no gentlemen behavior....no politeness...no humorous way of revealing your intentions....no reason that you need to share your "knowledge" with us...good day sir~

jjmtuttle

Also when ever you wanna compare credentials I am ready... I have proof of my education do you???

Theresa Whitley
0

so as far as this goes, I've heard every part replaced but still no solution. Clean your throttle body well, replace the iac valve, test and od replace egr. Install new ngk plugs, clean maf and map sensors. all of this can be done at home for 150.00 after that, see how she runs for the minimal investment put in. it works.

Theresa Whitley
0

now could someone please follow up as to that and let me know if there is anything else I could do affordably and effective overall.