Why wont my windows roll up or down in my 98' ford explorer eddie bauer edition?

TimMac
90

Asked by Dec 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD SUV

All fuses are good, all windows stopped working. Sunroof still works, wipers, dome light, etc etc etc.

16,955

Usually it's the Master Switch (Driver's side window switch). That's the most common failure anyway.

jjmtuttle

can you roll them down from any of the other switches? passenger side from passenger side switch?

TimMac
90

No, none of the switches are working. I tried passenger side and the two back seat windows.

jjmtuttle

there a fuse block under the hood di you happen to check that?

TimMac
90

yep already checked that. My driver window is stuck partially down

jjmtuttle

have you checked to see if your getting power to the drivers side main switch?

TimMac
90

That's the next step, didn't really want to pull it off if I didn't have to but I guess I have to now.

jjmtuttle

ok

TimMac
90

I have no power going to the main switch. what wire is the hot wire? I cant find a wiring diagram anywhere

jjmtuttle

make sure you have a good ground check it off the fuse in the panel. if still no power then might wanna get a test light and check the fuses that relate with it. I will ask a couple buddys that might know and get back to the site. there is a issue where the wires come out of the body and go into the door with wires because of bad rubber boots and metal cutting or pealing the rubber coating off from laying on the metal.

TimMac
90

Yeah I was gonna check in the boot but I have no juice coming into the switch at all that's why I was trying to figure out what color the hot wire is. I checked power to all the fuses and I have power. I have power on both sides. and cool cool thank you.

TimMac
90

Blue with a Black stripe is the hot. Found it broken in the boot. :) Problem solved. thank you for your help.

jjmtuttle

glad to hear....

Jiban
20

Hi guys, I have ford explorer 03 which the driver rear window recently won't roll up and down. There is power coming because when I press the window button (up and Down) I can hear a click with the window movement, but couldn't go up & down. Please shoot me any info how to fix this problem. Thank you and hope to hearing from you guys soon.

Ron Glass
0

My 06 explorer passenger window wouldn't go up. I swapped the wires on the motor and got the window up.

Jiban
20

Thanks Ron. You were right! I got to see the problem which the wire jammed and wouldn't go back and forth. I removed the whole object including the motor and was able to got the window up.

RBridge3
0

My 2000 Ford Explorer none of the Windows will roll up or down. All fuses have power and all controls have power. But still won't roll either direction. The passenger side rear view mirror was replaced and that's when all the windows stopped working, but disconnecting the mirror doesn't fix it either. Dome light is also out but as stated previously, all fuses have power and are intact. Please help!?!

RBridge3
0

Have yet to take off the drivers side door panel and check power to controls but I haven't even touched that side, why would it be disconnected. Only side I've touched is passengers

cmeyers003
0

RBridge3... I am having the same exact issue on the same exact car after replacing the same exact mirror!!! We too have power to the switches, and fuses are good. the fuse for the windows is the same fuse for the power seat which works fine. Im stumped here. Were you able to find an answer?