I need to replace rear Cat Converter on my 3.0 engine and cannot find a california compliant part. Any ideas on how to progress.

dkjohnny
15

Asked by dkjohnny Feb 16, 2014 at 07:28 PM about the 2004 Mazda MAZDA6 4 Dr s Wagon

15,955

Have you tried the Mazda Dealer? Rockauto. com doesn't list one either. I just checked. HTH. -Jim

3,850

This site has one for $223....http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_years/mazda-6- catalytic-converter-2004.html

3,850

Scroll down to the last one on the page. It's not a direct fit. You must cut out old cat and weld in the new one. Sorry, should have mentioned that. And it's actually $224.94.

3,850

Ok...forget the above link...doesn't fit the 3.0. There are two on Ebay right now. One for the front and one for the back. For the 3.0 liter engine. They are complete bolt on...no welding!

dkjohnny
15

Everyone- Thanks for the numerous responses. Many of these avenues have been tried, but California compliant is the big deal breaker. I have seen some that are so-called "50 state" which means NY and CA are included and they will ship there. MagnaFlow does sell a weldable and a direct fit. Found this out by going to CA Air Resource Website. Shows executive orders exempting for some products. I may go the weld my own route. But even if i go the $600 direct fit route, I will save on the $2500 quote I got from my local shop. They told me flat out they priced it high b/c they don't like this mazda. I'll keep you posted on myprogress...zoom zoom!

dkjohnny
15

Js08016 - Thanks, I was told from the start that Mazda doesn't carry this item anymore. Same with another exhaust section near the cat that broke 2 years ago and had to get welded by a shop to pass smog then. Thing still runs great, so I am determined to fix, but on a budget. It can afford to sit til I get to it.

15,955

You're welcome. Glad to help. Yes, please let us know how you make out. -Jim

dkjohnny
15

Well, I did get the direct fit option from manga flow, and sold by maxautosupply.com. It fit up well, a little tight to get to two manifold nuts. I had to fab up an open end 13mm crowfoot wrench to get one of them tight. I replaced upstream and downstream O2 sensors for that bank, and all seems good. No check engine light! Time to get the smog check officially done. It was a bunch of work, but probably saved myself $1800.

15,955

Very glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know. If you just cleared the computer you'll need to let the readiness monitors reset before your smog test. There is a "drive cycle" that you can do to set them in about an hour. It's too lengthy to explain here but if you google "OBD II drive cycle" an explanation should pop up. You can also just drive the vehicle normally for about a week. But keep only between 3/4 and 1/4 gas in the tank. No more or no less. Otherwise all the readiness monitors won't set. Since your Mazda is an '04 model you can sneak through the smog test with 1 readiness monitor not set. The EVAP system is the hardest one to set. Especially if you're in a cold climate. HTH. -Jim