Is this normal for a rim

petrk
0

Asked by petrk Feb 04, 2013 at 10:14 PM about the 2005 Mazda MAZDA3 S Hatchback

Is it normal for a rim to break all the way in half. (As in separate the face of the rim from the other half).
The wreck was at about 27 mph and after the rim was completely severed in half. I lost complete
control of the car and i wrecked. i believe that it was my rims fault this is what it looked like directly
after the wreck (check pic out). I have to meet with an insurance adjuster. And i truly believe that the
wheel popped and thats why i lost control. check the pic let me know if a rim should ever do this after a
wreck.
thanks

nosmo
1,715

it looks like it was the rims falt because if it was the tire it would of been all ragedy

Robert Stoker
165

No, that is not normal. I wrecked one of these cars a few years ago, and my Front Passenger tire looked a lot like that. Don't let the insurance guy tell you it was your fault.

65,425

The do break in half but it's not normal. If you drive aggressively or on rough roads, they rims crack and finally let go.

Michael Tutty
5,625

If this is a problem with the rim, report it to the DOT. They need to do an investigation and likely issue a recall on these rims. That should NEVER, under any circumstances, happen.

Rodney Harne
150

I have four years in a colision repair shop and i can say i have seen some weird stuff but thats a new one for me.

DavidH25

I like Michael's post. Unless petrk you hit a 6" pothole at 80mph and not even then should it separate like that ....the DOT needs to find out if it has happened to other Mazda's pronto ..27mph is not that hard of an impact but tenspeed has a valid point also, repeated abuse will eventually fatigue the rim but still....

Ilregal

This is a stock rim, correct? Go to NHSTA ,, http://www.nhtsa.gov/ ---- look down to the left column for Recalls & Defects a short cut link and follow the directions punch in your car and vin etc. and see if there is a recall or issue related to the 2005 Mazda MAZDA3 S Hatchback and tires or wheels don't look for rims.That's just what people call them, their wheels. If it's aftermarket, then I can see that happening and have seen a rim separate like that before but certainly not due to 27 MPH that is nearly unbelievable.

petrk
0

Thanks for the advice and opinions everyone. Im talking to an insurance adjuster today so ill let everyone know what comes of it.

Ilregal

Please everyone, stop saying to report it to the DOT unless you are reporting a pot hole. That's the Department of Transportation the guys who make and maintain or highways and roads. They could care less about the rim, believe it. Refer people to the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration or known as NHSTA at http://www.nhtsa.gov/ that's for real fellas.

Ilregal

Me and my buddies at work

Ilregal

Remember to check your oil or you'll end up like that pic up on the telephone pole. And this is a public service announcement