No speed in my hot rot lincoln ?

Fcyene Smhit
0

Asked by Fcyene Oct 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM about the 2001 Lincoln Navigator Base 4WD

my 01 is having a major chugging Problem ,  driving at town speed 50mph it looses power and speed, i push down on the gas peddle ans the rpm's go up the vehicle revs but it wont increasing in speed it almost sounds like it has slipped in to Nutrule ?  then it sputters chugs then catches up asap befor i know it im slamming on my break , i go up hills at 70 to 80 ans it dies right down to 40 or 30 but the rpms will shoot up to 3 or 4 ? then then i come to a stop ans start to go again it feels like it takes forever to go ,  sometimes i have the peddle to the floor ans it barely moves when i bought this it had mass amounts of dirty gas , the mileage till empty was unbelievable low ,  i started to use premium ans it seemed to move the mileage up a lot on a full tank when io got it it said 250 till empty, now as i continue to use premium gas after 5 weeks ( is from when i bought this Sept 14th 2012 )  the mileage till empty is at 789 !  i like those odds but im worried about the mass power loss ? is there any one who is having the same wondering problem as me if so ans you have a answer can u help me

DavidH25

My Daddy said Son You're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop driving that Hot..Rod..Lincoln..sorry I couldn't help that....anyway first, forget premium gas with the 5.0L, I assume that is what is in it, correct me of that is wrong. If your message center says miles left of range of 789 then you have it set on metric...kilometers not miles, there is no way, if FULL at 17 gallons, what it holds, it will go more than 350, 400 tops Miles that is. Push the "mode" button to miles, not kilometers. My 91 (I had several, a 90, a 91, and a 95) at one time or another and it got maybe 12mpg city, 25 highway. That car is HEAVY, I forget the exact numbers but it's near 4,000 lbs curb weight. Furthermore it sounds like you have multiple problems, beginning with transmission. Replace fuel filter also, and hopefully you can find a transmission shop that can/will fix or swap out you transmission, but before you spend that money have the engine diagnosed to find out if it's worth putting a dime in to the tranny. Good Luck my friend, it's a wonderful car, but one more thing: if it does not already have trouble with the air -ride bladders, it will soon and a coil spring conversion is my suggestion for rear.

John Leone
4,845

he got the mileage issue down...as far as spuddering, there has to be a check engine light on, have someone scan it, auto zone, napa, any car parts place will for free.. dont buy anything, just know what the codes/issues are, and reply back up here...yes, even I am about to convert the airbags on my lincoln over, but the Navigator usually has the level sensor rusting/seizing up (more common), though it can be a tranny, there are other numerous possibilities, too many to go over, which is why a check engine light code, (OR LET US KNOW IF THERE IS NOT ONE ON), HAVE IT CHECKED ANYWAY, so I can narrow down solutions, thanks

Fcyene Smhit
0

Hahaha yes that all did occur to me less then 3 days after the conversion kit was installed on the Lincoln, i took it in to a shop for a wheel alignment, the guy at the shop told me the same thing, plus the passenger side was lopped to one side, i was thinking it had something to do with either the tranny , fuel pump , fuel filter or some type of plug coil thing ? i have a cousin who has a 2000 f250 his truck ans his car was doing something similar to it, for his truck he changed a huge coil type thing in it , ( not the spark plug ) but it was a $80 piece, ? had something to do with the power ? not sure, but he had to do a Tran change in his car and that fixed his other one, if i hook up a code reader typ thing will it tell me if my tranny or fuel pump is going ? i was told to take it in and have a fuel pressure test but that is 150mile drive ans with this acting the way it is im kind of scared to have it break down on me in the middle of nowhere, and my cousin who has a coded reader thingy ma jig is only less them 40 miles from me, i think i'll start with that , if it comes down to it, ...... i'll have to sell it :-( .............. didn't take me long, but i already found a another one but a 99 :-( i have that Hot rod Lincoln Feaver i'll have it checked tomorrow and get back at ya'll

DavidH25

My error was I did not look at Navigator. I never owned a Navigator, I was thinking Town car but it still applies

Fcyene Smhit
0

yeah i think were now either going to sell it as is or order up a new engine and transmission