why does my 2001 lincoln ls run hot in stop and go but fine in regular driving

smiley198028
0

Asked by smiley198028 Oct 08, 2012 at 10:47 PM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V6

My 2001 Lincoln LS runs hot if you get it in stop and go traffic but runs fine if its traffic to where you can just drive it. I have replaced the temperature sending unit and the thermostat but it still runs hot. Please help if anyone knows what is going on

dedell
325

HI did you try to flush the engine and rad., If that does not work the rad mite Ned to b change.Good luck.Lionel

John Leone
5,055

many things to try, when it is cool, on the bottom of the radiator, there is a screw tap, it drains the coolant, open in, again the coolant will pour out, then fill the top with a water hose, making sure it is not clogged, driving helps keep the engine cool, by air constantly hitting it. how fast after start at idle will it get hot, 5-15 minutes, is more likely a water pump, but can also be thermostat sticking, thermostat is the cheapest to change, start there, after confirming the radiator flows freely....let me know

Jdhdjek Djsheisb
20

There is a resouvier on the passenger side of motor for the fan coolant. This may be low and if so the fan will not work properly when idling. It takes Mercon V. I went to several mechanics and they always did the same thing thermostat and radiator checks but I went online and found out the problem. And what you know...the fluid was very low. 600 dollars for 3 dollar solution. Goes yo show you the professionals don't always know what problems are they just take your money sometimes and fix something.lol. even if its not broken

Hunter901
0

Check Antifreeze, then check to see if cooling fans are working. When you are stopped no air is crossing the radiator therefore it gets hot.

lincolnls755
60

If its a 3.9 liter v-8 .. air in coolant system causes all kinds of problems..on level ground, remove the filler cap on top of thermostat with a hex wrench and fill it full with the cap removed from the coolant resevoir.. then fill up coolant resevoir just till coolant leaks over edge of fill area at thermostat.. the trick is to remove air behind thermostat .. there is also a bleeder valve beside the coolant resevoir that can be used to do this..

docjkg
105

I have found that if cooling ok while moving but running hot while not moving, look at your radiator cooling fans...electric or manual