my contour died and won't start. not the timing, any ideas?

n_o_s_21
0

Asked by n_o_s_21 Jan 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM about the 1998 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan

Driving from a stop, stepped hard on accellerator, and at about 6000 rms, the car died.  My instinct was the timing belt.  Pulled over, tried to start, sounded like no compression, thius, timing belt right?  Wrong.  tried to start the next day, cranks over, and sounds like there's compression..almost started, but didn't.  Is there a sensor or something I may have broken that would cause the car to die like it did?  It's a 1998 contour, with the 2.0L zetec and an automatic.....any help would be good, I'm not a ford guy, and the car only cost $425, so I'm not looking to dump a bunch of money into it....if there's a couple things I could try, then I'll go to the wrecker and get some parts, otherwise I'll scrap it out.  Thanks in advance

55,105

Try scanning the codes. There might be a pending code stored that would give you a clue. Check out some Ford forums to see if any other Zetec owners have experienced a similar problem.

n_o_s_21
0

oulled off the timing cover to find a shredded belt in tact, and the plastic pully wheel in multiple pieces....chances are the valves are bent now, so I'm going to scrap it. thanks for the help.