contour won't crank when you turn the key

zstilson
0

Asked by Aug 12, 2009 at 02:13 PM about the 1998 Ford Contour 4 Dr STD Sedan

the key is a pain to get in..power comes on for dash,radio, and lights. battery is good. check the volts at the ignition switch in the on mode and starting postion getting good voltage, checked the starter relay in the power dispostion box under the dash. power there. check coninuty on the relay...nothing at all. but checked the relays around it no coninuty on them as well. then checked the power from the switch to the fuse box...good volts, then from fuse box to the starter nothing......any help thanks.

Jonathan Furse
2,995

Either your starter is burned out or the starter cable is bad.

Jeff Leeper

If its a manual transmission check the box mounted on the clutch pedal. sometimes those get kicked and the switch doesnt work because its shifted.

ph5
20

If the box does get shifted from use of the clutch. how do you fix it? do you just reset the box or do you have to buy a new one?

Jeff Leeper

Rotate it back into position. You can wire tie it to keep it from moving

Joelmc59
40

Had same problem on 99 FORD CONTOUR, 4 Cyl, 2.0. Turns out to be the Nutral Safety Switch that senses the car is not in PARK or NUTRUAL. About $40.00 and easy to change. Mounted right on top of the transmission.

Kathleen Robinson-Sidwells
0

I had same problem in 98 contour.I had lights and all but got jump start and it went right away.Turned out i had lose connection on battery cable.For now we have put tin foil on the post then put it back on start great now till get new cable.It works.

Zoran Burlingame
40

i had the same problem with my 1998 contour lx. suddenly would not start, i heard the fuel pump when i turn the key, but when i tried to start nothing, not even a click. solution: i found that when the PATS light above the radio was blinking about 1 time every 2 seconds, but when i try to start the car the light would blink rapidly, maybe 2 times per second. i went and got my spare key and tried to start the car and instantly it started...the issue was the key. i also found out that if you don't have a key that works, there is a PATS reset procedure you can go through.