Rashad Johnson

Asked by Rashad Aug 21, 2012 at 03:46 PM about the 1999 Ford Taurus SE

Check connections from battery to ground and battery to starter.

Richard Hyzy

It could be that your key is not the correct one. What I mean is that the key might not be programed to this car. The theft light suggests that the little resister that is in the plastic part of the key is not programed to start this car.

You might have to reset the computer. You do this by disconnecting the positive side of the battery for a minute or so, then reconnect it and make sure the connections are tight on the positive and the negative side. Try starting the car. If that doesn't work, try resetting the factory alarm which has a kill switch built in. Open driver's door, insert key, turn to on, leave like that for exactly 10 minutes, after which turn key off. close driver's door and then try to start the car normally, this resets the anti theft device. If none of these works, then double check all of your connections where you replaced items or disconnected items. Something might not be connected properly. Good Luck, Kenny / MrBlueOval

Christopher Paden

Is the engine cranking at all? Is the theft light flashing rapidly? Or just occasionally as if it would if the car was off? If the theft light is flashing rapidly, you have an issue with the alarm system. (bad key, bad antenae in the key hole, wiring issue) If the car is turning over, but not starting and the theft light is steady, I would check your crankshaft position sensor.

check the fuses . i had a problem with my 08 ford . turn the key on nothing no lights on dash . found a fuse to ignition switch blown .now looking for that problem.

my explorer is doing the same thing.pats is a joke and a waist of money.americans spend more on tows and keys than the theft system helps!!!!!

@erica someone ripped out the plastic piece where you stick the key in. And from your pictures I'm guessing it's the lock barrel? My car won't turn over at all and I have my transponder key and everything. I need help

Erica Duplex

Sounds like something in your ignition. You may need to replace or check your transponder coil in the ignition, its all part of the Anti-Theft Systems. If thats not the problem then its deeper but could still be simple and cheep like the little green antenna that goes to the "PATS" it looks almost like a part out of a computer and has little wires that can break off causing you car to lock you out like a thief. This gets damaged from time to time and makes life a living hell. Good news is that you can fix it yourself for $3. Just go down to pick and pull junk yard and find one off a car like yours doesn't even have to be the same year or mold. Carefully remove and i mean carefully. Hope this helps

Erica Duplex

here are some more pics of what to look for

Erica Duplex

Anti-Theft Systems

Travis Morrison

2004 ford taurs we won't turn over it clicks but won't start now the battery is dead anyanyone know what might be causing this

We had the same problem. Intermittent. Thought was the alternator. But it was not. Our door open light came on a lot. So, was up at O'Reilly Auto Parts and he showed us to after we got it started, reset the alarm to press and hold last two door entry buttons - together - for about ten seconds. Then, unlock door with the key, get in, close door, and car would start. So, now, when I get out, I do the hold the buttons reset,(this also locks the doors) then when I get in, I do the unlock door with the key....... O'Reilly knows what they are doing!

Maurice Moore

How. You stop a theif light

My dad taught me a trick... on the right side of the engine.. between the engine and the battery look deep and you'll see a red piece... next to the red piece there's a pipe thing... idk what either of these are called... get something long.. I used the pole for my jack... tap it (the pipe thing) a few times and 3-4... then start your car...I have a 2010 ford taurus SEL .. Let me know if that works... it worked like magic for me... did it 2 times already..also my remote started is on low battery which I think is causing the anti theft thing to trigger

Mauricio Reyes

Ok my 2002 nissan maxima went on lock mode cause my alarm remote got washed in the washer so one day i was parked in my car and i had it on so i decided to see if the remote works so i put the battery in the remote and it just locked and wit alarm while my car was on then i got home and turned the car off and it wouldnt turn on no more the security light is on red and whe i try to unlock the car wit the remote it locks itself wit the alarm it just does it when i get close to the car wit the remote anybody know how to help me wit this

Samantha Craver

I has prlm with ford f150 triton v8 4x4 1990 theft flashing how to fix it stop flashing (theft) for that truck .. could be key or what please leave me this msg..

I have a 2001 Ford f150 and it won't start....... it had the theft light on so we had the alarm system removed and installed to the way it originally needs to be but it still won't start . We also had our truck key reprogrammed but that didn't work either. So if any one can help please let me know. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and need my truck fixed ASAP..... thanks