99 taurus transmission shifts funny when hot from first to second what could cause this?

Larry Cooper
10

Asked by Larry Jul 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM about the 1999 Ford Taurus SE

After I drive car about 8-10 miles and trans get warmed up good the trans seem to hesitate when
shifting from first to second. If I just floor the gas it shifts fine.

119,215

Did you check the fluid level recently? The procedure is in your owners manual. level surface, engine hot and on, in the cross hatched area.

Hans Dietrich
505

The trannys on these cars are notoriously fragile. I would recommend you drop the transmission pan and replace the filter, followed by having the trans flushed, to clean out the torque converter.

Larry Cooper
10

I have done this and it still has the same problem. What should it cost to replace the trans?

Hans Dietrich
505

I paid 2K to have mine rebuilt on my 2001. If you are planning on keeping the car a long time look at Jasper transmissions...they will cost a bit more but are well built from everything I have heard.