Can a rod bearing be replaced without taking engine out?

Dani1336
0

Asked by Dani1336 Feb 17, 2014 at 07:02 PM about the 2003 Kia Sorento LX

BoholMark
21,325

Not very easily. If one has spun the others are close to doing the same. Besides there's more work to do.

29,905

Yes. Drop the pan after draining motor oil and the crankshaft will be exposed, and I respectfully disagree with the above, it does NOT necessarily indicate another bearing is going to freeze/spin/or whatever, One can go bad and the other(s) could be fine. There may well be an obstruction in the oil passage in that one particular bearing causing this. There may very well be no more work to do.

Best Answer
Lance Denney Sr
20

Agreed, bearings can be fine right next to a spun one. BUT, just found out my Sorento bearings ONLY come in a set...so... might as well... right? You should be able to actually FEEL the loose bearing... unless it's a main. Hopefully you used a stethoscope before you shut it down and started taking it apart to find out where the problem is. Check 'em all, won't be nothing but more time... Old 400 Chevy's had soft cranks, and I had to replace a single bearing on one. If you have a worn crank, make sure you clean it up with emory cloth first... and then you might need an undersized bearing. Good luck, 'm here to find out about my '05 Sorento, because it did a WEIRD oil thing, and showed ZERO OIL the other night with LOTS of clanking, and after adding 3 quarts, the morning dipstick showed 3 quarts high! No idea how THAT happened, except that the valve cover oil-returns on the passenger side got plugged suddenly... and stayed that way for the next 3 hours...

You think this is helpful.
Dani1336
0

Same oil thing happened with mine as well. The day I bought it, oil was on full. Next day showed nothing on the dip stick. Checked again later that day and was fine again. Motor is gone in that Sorento now but I searched and searched and bought one exactly the same with 150,000 less kl. Loved my Sorento as old as it was and love my new one,as old as IT is! Thanks so much