I have a kia Sorrento 2004 3.5lt approx 150,000km I have a momontary rattle from the motor when starting,once running its as quiet as a mouse, plenty of pulling power

ford1249
0

Asked by ford1249 Sep 30, 2013 at 08:43 PM about the 2004 Kia Sorento EX

as mentioned above am I looking at piston slap!! if so what is required to fix this rattle before it gets worse

18,125

What you are describing might be some bearing noise just before the oil pressure comes up, it is called dry start there are a number of ways to cure it, first check and make sure you have the correct oil filter on it, one with an anti-drain back valve in it, then you could try a friction modifier in the oil, one that is designed for dry start problems, you could install an electric pre-oiler that will pump oil up to pressure at the flip of a switch before you even crank the engine, or you can have the engine's rods and main bearings checked and replaced if needed, possibly even do a crank kit, and remember if you do any engine work replace the oil pump.

Best Answer
ford1249
0

Thank you (tennishoes) I am hoping its the oil filter as this is the second motor I have put in this vehicle in the last 12-18months