We replaced a corroded battery with a brand new one at a Firestone Store. Now the Check Engine Light stays on. We own a 2004 Kia Sedona van and have never had any problems with the car, which we bought new. My wife joked that now that it's paid off, it's starting to fall apart. Help?

micro080111
0

Asked by micro080111 Jan 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM about the 2004 Kia Sedona EX

As above, we peplaced the battery in our 2004 Kia Sedona EX minivan when the old one was corroded. Now the Check Engine Light stays on all the time. As we had just had a tuneup a few months ago, ther shouldn't be anything wrong with the engine, we've never had any mechanical problems with this car, just repairs on a couple of fender benders, mea culpa. My wife is worried, I told her to take it back to Firestone and have them check it out. If that fails, we'll have to take it to the Kia dealer and hope it doesn't cost too much. Thank you. January 10, 2013

62,805

Taker it to the parts store and have the codes read. Write down the number of the code and bring it back here. Stay away from the dealer unless it's a warranty issue.

8,265

I cant empisize the imprtance of writing down the code and not the part store's definition of it because it tends to be wrong. Let us decipher it, code have one letter followed by a string of numbers like P0100

DavidH25

Most cars are pre programmed at the factory to begin to break down and fail on you exactly 24 hours after the warranty has run out. Just kidding of course...my point is I agree with tenspeed about stay away from the dealer unless it's still under factory warranty, they are far more expensive than a reputable shop and no better

DavidH25

Andrew is also right on, most auto parts clerks are instructed by their boss to sell sell sell whether you need "it" or not, and don't know jack...please like he said bring the codes back here, one of us will help you

Mikeydoesntlikeit
10

My 2007 Sedona ex luxury has cost me $4000 in repairs this summer. Oil valve sensor broke resulting in big engine repair, which also caused fuel to melt my exhaust manifold. Of course, this was 8 months after the warranty ran out, but what do you do? At 140,000 km (around 100,000 miles) I would not expect it to fall apart, especially when Sienna's and Odysseys run past 300,000 km.