Help Me Diagnose My Sedona

Pollyanna
85

Asked by Pollyanna Mar 27, 2014 at 09:10 PM about the 2005 Kia Sedona LX

Things were fine until I tried to go the store a few minutes ago.  Started up my 25  Kia Sedone, pulled out of the driveway and an could hear a strange noise..  Sort of a high whine, not too loud, and after drive a ways, I began to smell something terrible.. like something was burning.  By the time I reach the stop sign it was an overwhelming smell an the whine was very noticable.  I looked at my dash indicators and the battery light as well as the brake light were on..  No other indicators.  I stopped, checked under the hood where the smell was all I could see, started it back up, same whine and beginning to smell again, turned around and drove back home..  Total distance riven was about 250 yards.  When I parked in the driveway I noticed a small spot about the size of a softball on the cement just under the passenger side front bumper..  It looks like transmission fluid, reddish.  Could not see any broken or loose belts and wonder what was burning, maybe transmission fluid leaking on my manifold???  But if it is my tranmission, why would my battery and brake light come on?  It has 130,000 miles on it and has been a wonderful ride. What do you think is wrong?  Thanks

119,185

I would suspect one our accessory bearings or pulleys is locked up , and your serpentine belt is riding over the top of it. Friction is the burning smell. Do not drive it anymore till you find the problem.

Best Answer
Pollyanna
85

Thank you. Now I have a reference point if I decide to take it in to a shop... Appreciate your time, knowledge and helpfulness. .