My 1994 jeep Cherokee driver side door will not open. Latch will not release. How do I get my door open and fix the problem?

Amy Gerner
0

Asked by Amy Feb 20, 2013 at 02:39 PM about the 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Sport

45,905

Sounds like it could be rusted in the locked position. Roll the window down and bathe the latch in penetrating oil. Keep working the lock and door handles until you get things moving. Once it's free, use real oil for long lasting lubrication.

judge_roy

sound like a cheapie plastic guide for the door control rods has let loose from it's mounting due to degridation in a harsh environment- Gotta get in there and see what still moves...rust as my co-hort says, but those penetrants are so smelly and prefer not to suggest them anymore. Tri-flow is less smelly but perhaps not as a penetrant, but as a stable lubricant....like a real expensive aerosol oil w/teflon. But plastic pieces have gone astray and crumbled or broken leaving you chafing and disappointed.

judge_roy

first, the door handle has two or three big phillips no2 screws that hold the armrest on. Next, you'll have to pop the fasteners by placing a ruler or something long enough to pop the so-called christmas tree fasteners which are supposed to hold strong to the tagboard liner, but frequently don't. push up towards the up direction against the window, and it will come free.

judge_roy

there is going to be a plastic liner. Try not to damage this 'cause you will re-use this one. Look for the latch and the catch, they run thru this box that is the locking mechanism. With the panel off, you can observe what the action is on the locking mechanism. You also can see pulling the lever to open has a bar with these wompy guides throwin' the works off track. perhaps you can put all these guides back into their holes and possible glue or rtv them into place. riddle solved.

7jimmy7
9,685

pull button up,unlock, try from inside lever and kick or sholder ram,same with outside handle , if handle just loose ,flopping then broken ear from lever, but still should open from inside,levers are sold at parts house [help] section 14.00 and pull door panel ,fix

judge_roy

7jim, you can't post a link for 'help' that Amy could click on and possibly buy the troubled parts ahead of time? My replacement toyota cranks were 'help' brand. They've got wierd troublesome fixes and seem to know what and where things need to be replaced.

judge_roy

allright, I will then, it's Dorman products makers of these 'help' fine products- http://www.dormanproducts.com/