Jeep cherokee turns off while driving. new crank sensor new distributor and still having problems

Norberto Trevino
150

Asked by Norberto May 19, 2012 at 07:39 PM about the 1994 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr Sport

1994 Jeep cherokee

Daniel Guillen-Pizzorni
355

does it crank back up after you turn it off?

Norberto Trevino
150

It turns off on its own and it wont turn on right away and sometimes it wont even turn on till a day later or so

Daniel Guillen-Pizzorni
355

check the voltage to the coil and the coil itself, it might work for a few minutes or all day and then when it gets hot it stops working, and then after it cools off(a few minutes or a day) it might work for awhile again. giving you the on/off symptom. if thats not it check the computer also

Norberto Trevino
150

It did that at first and they checked the coil and said it was bad so I replaced it and still did the same... So that's when I moved to the distributor and replaced the whole thing... Computer isnt bad

Daniel Guillen-Pizzorni
355

did you check your fuel pump pressure?

Norberto Trevino
150

Yes and fuel pump works and also put a new filter

Daniel Guillen-Pizzorni
355

bad connection somewhere? you already said you replaced pretty much everything fuel/spark related the only thing left is either one of the previous parts was of poor quality and went bad or wire harness/computer. ive had over 15 cherokees and gc and i had 2 that did the same thing one was the computer and the other one had a bad distributor

Norberto Trevino
150

Yea I have replaced just about everything. But my brother in law checked it yesterday and said it might be the crank position sensor that gives out or senda a bad signal

Daniel Guillen-Pizzorni
355

how long do you drive before it craps out?

Tom Mccrory
50

have you changed the fuel filter, some times when you have a plugged filter they will run for awhile or all day, by looking at the other answeres that you got that nobody asked about fuel pressure.

Sarah00
200

I see this is 2 years ago! Did you ever figure out what the problem was??? I'm having the same thing happen! 1994 Jeep Cherokee, 255,??? miles on it! few days ago sat in a -drive through- idling, (It got up to about 210) Jeep shut off. It started back up -got food- & headed home. It shut off 4 more times on my way home! I made it home! Changed out the fuel filter! It was clogged big time! Well today I drove about 20mins from home, I sat in a drive-through and headed to moms house and it shut off. Thank god it started up so I could get outta the street & pull into a parking lot then shut off again! Would NOT start back up this time! (Sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't) I left it there for a few hours so it could cool off then went back. Started right up and made it home on the freeway. So sitting and idling is not good! and 210 temp not good! Any ideas?? Please help!!!

Will Darnell
140

Im having same problem with my Jeep. Its starts up perfect, runs perfect. When I drive it turns off at random times. The motor turns off just as if you would had turned the key off, the lights and gauges stay on. I have been trying to track this problem down for 3 weeks now. I have replaced the following parts. New Parts Plugs,Wires, Distributor, Coil, Battery, Alternator, Fuel Pump, Crank Position Sensor, Idle Air Control Sensor, Air Exhaust Temp Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor. The only other things I can think of is junk auto-zone parts, Short on wiring harness, or computer. Does anyone have any ideas?

usercargurus
60

If your jeep over heated after all things listed in this form have been checked, have a mechanic check the motor head gaskets to see if they are damaged, air might be leaking out from it. Usually happens if it overheats or overheated in the past and the gaskets got blown or are having pressure come out even a little.

Lena Brown
80

Same problem. 1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. Sometimes starts, sometimes not. Turns over but sounds like it's out of gas. I can hear the fuel pump kick on and it has good pressure. Dies while driving, then sometimes won't start back up. Changed fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap. What else do I check?

usercargurus
60

with jeeps from 2004 and older there could be several culprits in this problem, the ones you stated and others, IAC - idle air control is most common, easy piece to replace near the throttle body, TPS - throttle position sensor, fuel filter, map sensor, fuel flow control and ignition timing sensor, vacuum leaks are common, spark plugs, injectors, vac line on map sensor, dirty throttle body, could be others these are common, I'd start with the cheapest and most common parts, IAC, fuel filter, spark plugs, air leaks or loose pressure pumps, just a little bit of air leaking from this it sure to cause a shut off or starting problem, also please be sure it's not the starter if it does not turn on at all or the battery going bad, make a list from the simplest to the more difficult and start checking one at a time, till you find it, the answer is never easy, sometimes it's a combination of these, especially in a car that is reaching 10 years or older. Anyways good luck.

Gordon Rosen
30

I have a 2000 cherokee classic mine stalled didnt like to restart till cooled down i replaced Ecm better starter wire 4guage crank sensor new electronic distributor whole unit added ground from engine block to fire Wall a chrysler mech showed me how Now it Runs Great need to repllace 02, and soon fuuel pump i bought it used a few years ago not sure how old those are got ecm at junk yard runa like a chamo just stubbern at Times like if it sita for hrs if u turn key to start Nope gotta tap gas pedal other than that she runs

Gordon Rosen
30

Crank sensor is Whats keeping it from starting and causes stalls beleive me i know just went through it nightmare but not anymore fixed now 02next

Gordon Rosen
30

Plus i had my motor rebuilt at 2000thou now 242, runs Great just anoying sensors that are starting to act up but repñace crank sensor first check pos wire from start make sure its good not arking i put 4guage on its better Plus put 4guage ground on bat do the crank sensor if u wanna start it up

Gordon Rosen
30

Auto zone parts junk i learned my less on on buying there closest to dealer is a parts Plus Store but a crank sensor cant be much from dealor and not exp from parts Plus my own mech used to laugh When i bought auto zone When i had probs from there junk my mech would say hows hows,auto junk working for u then u want it fixed right id say yep he call and order parts and id see parts Plus truck show up now i only use parts Plus

ruben1226
10

Ruben from Tampa FL I have Cherokee sport 2000 4x4 4.0L run gray bat when engine its on normal temperature turn of so 1 hour later staring back replace can sensor and crank sensor if you can help me to repair thank

Patty Sterchi
0

I do not have an answer 1993 Jeep Cherokee that just shuts off when your driving Sit at at a red light too long she stalls will not not start up right away Driving the Long Island Expressway go 3 or 4 exits and she just dies- No warning lights on the dashboard Changed fuel pump filter- oil change new spark plugs and wires It was inspected my trailer hitch is long enough not to cause a gas tank explosion What now???