jeep turns off while driving,

Asked by sportone May 20, 2015 at 02:04 PM about the 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr SE 4WD

driving and jeep dies and slows  to a halt ,   already replaced in line fuel filter no

Cory Shulaw

check the crank sensor

Dave Ligieri Jr.

check the mass airflow meter

Jimmy Keith

i had the same exact problem it is the positive wire goin from your battery to your starter

Don Kirsch

Check the crank position sensor...

Several things can cause this but if your jeep has 100,000 miles or more there is a good chance that it is being cause by the screw in the front plate of the computer. IF it just quits while going down the road, or if it starts running rough while at an idle then quits it could be this problem. It will also crank right back up sometimes or it may take 10 minutes or longer. To correct the problem remove the reservoir on the passenger side. The computer mounts to the firewall directly behind the reservoir. Remove the screw on outboard side directly below the left wiring harness connector. IT is about ½” long. Using a good pair of cutters cut half the length of the screw off. Reinstall the screw and snug it down (do not over tighten). Enjoy your jeep.

You think this is helpful.

Check the 02 sensors, a shorted heater will caise it to shutdown randomly/

We just had this happen with our 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 2 mechanics got to the cam sensor but it kept happening. Finally got a 3rd mechanic to check it and he replaced the crank sensor and got all the codes cleared. Back on the road again!

fuel filter changed crank sensor changed distributor worked on

Xochitl Slane

Maybe its the hight temperature of the air in the motor. Yuo must design some truck did the same thing. Until I did some modifications.

i have tried crank positioning sensor , and then relays, then i have been cleaning all the grounds and any connections associated with the ignition area that i can find

Tim Slack

Try changing the throttle position sensor located on the throttle body. Pull throttle body off 4 bolts disconnect the 3 wires clean throttle body with throttle body spray or carb spray. Spray the other sensor clean to a shine. My jeep was doing same thing no more problems. Hope this helps let me know.

Michael Clemons

I drive a 2004 jeep liberty and I have replaced the crank,throttle position,and the 02 senser and its still doing it

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6L. It started to hesitate and then shut off suddenly while driving about a week ago. This started after the cooling fan went out and was replaced. We've now changed replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, fuel pump relay sensor and a new battery. We did an oil change and tune up about 2months ago. We've taken it to 2 mechanics and now a third and no one seems to know what is wrong even after hooking it up to the computer. Any suggestions?

Colleen Peterson

I have a 1990 jeep cherokee laredo and it starts but when I press on the gas it makes a clunk sound and spudders and kills. Any advise would be great

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee turns off while driving

Monica Miller

My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee just started stalling while driving this week. It would stall while driving and then it wouldn't crank at all. I thought it was bad gas so I added Sea Foam and it started right up. But, that after a few minutes it died again. I had it towed to a shop today and they said it was a crank sensor. It was a lot less expensive than the fuel pump they kept insisting it was. I've had no problems since. It only took them 2 1/2 hours to order part and install.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it stalled on the road several times while driving. It just turned off. IAfter researching online I decided to change the Crank Position Sensor and have had no more stalls. However it is now running very rough when idling at stop lights and it just does not seem to have as much power. It has also made a poping sound under the hood. The longer I drive it in town the worse it gets. It runs great on the open road. What do you think it is?

I had the same problem with my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 177k miles it starting shutting off while running. The computer in the auto parts gave me 90 possible problems, I minus well buy a new car with the $ I was going to spend. I called the JEEP dealer and they said that they would not charge me for the diagnostic if it was something simple. Since the problem wasn't continuous they had to keep it over night until the problem occurred so they charged me 85.00. Finally it did while connected to their computer and it was the Crank position sensor. The dealer was going to charge me 325.00 to do the job but I got the part for 90.00 on ebay. The tech told me that please if I was going to do it myself to not buy cheap parts and buy the original MOPAR ones. The dealer had them for 180.00 but he told me as long as it was Mopar original I could buy it anywhere He mentioned that I could get one for 20 bucks on line but he does not recommend it. I changed it a week ago and thank God its running like a champ. This was a very frustrating problem. Even though the dealer ended up charging me to check it I recommend you take it to the dealer to avoid guessing. The tech told me that he was 100% sure that the problem was that sensor

Monica Miller

Thanks! I found a garage near my house and they didn't charge me to run a diagnostic and it was the crank sensor as well! They charged me $200 (parts and labor) and it's been running well.

Don't pay all that money to have your crankshaft position sensor replaced. You can do it yourself.

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it just shuts off and back on while Im driving, its now just starting up whenever the hell it wants, put the key in a click, then try it again and starts right back up. I found a recall for the ignition switch, but the part won't be made available until mid september. This is a Huge safety issue and they are just dragging their feet.

Changed crank sensor wires and plugs still won't start...... Any help please????

I have a 1994 jeep Cherokee sport 4wheel drive. I get up to 35mph and it cuts out spits and spudders and back fires. Iv changed fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, spark plugs, crank sensors. Iv taken throttle body off and cleaned it and cleaned all sensors as well. Iv done just about everything and still can't figure it out. Anybody have an idea on what it might be? Tired of fighting with it !

after changing fuel pump and filter it was the crank sensor on my 2002 grand cherokee