95 Jeep Cherokee door won't close completely. Any suggestions?

Smedly
0

Asked by Smedly Nov 23, 2008 at 07:29 PM about the 1995 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr SE 4WD

I have a 95 Cherokee. and the drivers door will stay closed, but not all the way. Everything looks ok as far as the hinge and latch.
It does stay closed, just not the way it should.
Any help is appreciated.

Logan Saunders
1,540

That could be any one of several issues. I'd say the safest bet is that your Jeep was in a collision. The impact has caused an alignment problem and the door was affected making contact where it shouldn't. This could be hinge, latch or component related. The best bet is to find a quality and HONEST body shop for a peek. They can look at the door and give you a verdict free of charge. If it's a matter of door alignment, they will charge you to adjust it PROVIDED it CAN be ADJUSTED.

Phillip DiGiacomo
0

sometimes you can loosen the bolts that hold the latch move it toward the center of the vehicle and tighten the bolts back

A Facebook user
25

this isnt any help but i think they have wicked body torque. i high centered my jeep on a snow bank and my hatch wouldnt shut when i opened it. which is FUCKED.

Sean Webster
65

Which door is it?

Marcus Yonker
15

if it was a cherokee it was because it was a unibody. i've been crawling in the mountains & have had to get in the back & had the hatch not close, but after i was back on level ground, it shut perfectly. jeeps dont have enough torque to twist the body or cause problems like we have here.

Derek Crawford
35

My latches on mine used to always freeze up so the door would either be stuck closed or I would have climbing rope holding the door closed while I drove down the road. Every once and awhile I got the WD-40 out and really lubed those suckers, and it seemed to help. If you do real serious off-roading, there is a chance that the body could be twisted, but i highly doubt it. My jeep was airbourne on a regular basis and I never dod bend the fame or anything.