Idles rough when the engine warms

Kimberly Long-Cowart

Asked by Kimberly Mar 13, 2011 at 08:23 PM about the 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

recently my 2001 Jeep Cherokee has been idleing rough once it warms up. At first
I thought maybe I got some bad gas. But doesn't seem that way. It runs rough when
the engine warms up, slower traffic (like going thru town) and when the gas gauge
is around a quarter of a tank. It also tries to quit on me on starting up when running
errands in town. I have become a two footer diver on those occasions.

Andrew Sciberras

could be several things. is it sluggish when you accelerate? are you losing coolant/antifreeze? is your check engine light on? have you noticed a significant change in gas mileage? is your air filter dirty? when is the last time it recieved a tune-up? (new spark plugs, wires, filter. etc)

im haveing the same i,ve changed all the sensors coil and spark plugs and it still is going on did u find out what it was

Andrew Sciberras

try changing the map sensor.

Had the same problem until this morning on my 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Valve cover seal was leaking oil onto the ignition coil which shorted out the #4 coil. The coil is one continuous strip that connects to all your spark plugs. When it warmed up was fine; cold it wasn't. Replaced all spark plugs with Platinum type, replaced valve cover gasket, cleaned entire area, replaced ignition coil. Coil was available at O'Reily's Auto Parts for $105. Make sure you get the spark plug extensions; don't use the old ones. Connector has a lock and is a bit tricky to work off. Also used carburetor cleaner to clean gunk off throttle body assembly. Gunk that went into intake manifold was digested by fuel injector cleaner that I placed in a full gas tank. Don't use the cheap stuff if you want results. Purrs like a kitten now even with 115,000 miles on it.

Jamie Hazard

i have an 87 4cl, it did that for a few years, turns out it was just a vacuum leak, figured it out when i replaced the vacuum actuator on the front axle with a cable actuator

well i have a jeep grand Cherokee limited at the beginning it would shake but it went again now every time it warms up it starts shaking and loses power, the truck wont until i go all the way on the pedal it also throws black smoke it gave me a p0717 wich it was the oxigen sensor did not replace it because o'rallys auto parts gave me the wrong one the jeeps it has three cables the new sensor has 4 cables , code ones but it went away when i unpluged the battery cables the engine light did not came back on but the jeep starts acting up ones again did anyone has this problem before/..? i was thinking on changing the map sensor i dont have much money to spend when im not sure what it its thank all in advance..