Idles rough when the engine warms

Kimberly Long
0

Asked by Kimberly Mar 13, 2011 at 08:23 PM about the 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

recently my 2001 Jeep Cherokee has been idleing rough once it warms up. At first
I thought maybe I got some bad gas. But doesn't seem that way. It runs rough when
the engine warms up, slower traffic (like going thru town) and when the gas gauge
is around a quarter of a tank. It also tries to quit on me on starting up when running
errands in town. I have become a two footer diver on those occasions.
angelflyer58

Andrew Sciberras
705

could be several things. is it sluggish when you accelerate? are you losing coolant/antifreeze? is your check engine light on? have you noticed a significant change in gas mileage? is your air filter dirty? when is the last time it recieved a tune-up? (new spark plugs, wires, filter. etc)

edjones1981
0

im haveing the same i,ve changed all the sensors coil and spark plugs and it still is going on did u find out what it was

Andrew Sciberras
705

try changing the map sensor.

gotta_love_jeeps
0

Had the same problem until this morning on my 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Valve cover seal was leaking oil onto the ignition coil which shorted out the #4 coil. The coil is one continuous strip that connects to all your spark plugs. When it warmed up was fine; cold it wasn't. Replaced all spark plugs with Platinum type, replaced valve cover gasket, cleaned entire area, replaced ignition coil. Coil was available at O'Reily's Auto Parts for $105. Make sure you get the spark plug extensions; don't use the old ones. Connector has a lock and is a bit tricky to work off. Also used carburetor cleaner to clean gunk off throttle body assembly. Gunk that went into intake manifold was digested by fuel injector cleaner that I placed in a full gas tank. Don't use the cheap stuff if you want results. Purrs like a kitten now even with 115,000 miles on it.

Jamie Hazard
5

i have an 87 4cl, it did that for a few years, turns out it was just a vacuum leak, figured it out when i replaced the vacuum actuator on the front axle with a cable actuator