Grinding noise coming from the rear.

CSTEWART
0

Asked by CSTEWART Sep 05, 2010 at 12:27 AM about the 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport

My jeep liberty has been making a grinding noise coming from the rear. It only makes this noise when im making slower turns and seems to do it more often when I turn in reverse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Stephanie McNaughton
0

I am having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution? Please let me know!! Thank you so much

Derek Slunt
125

check your differential fluid. it might need changing. if it has been changed recently, did it need anti-slip fluid added? I know this was an issue with mine and we had to look at the original option sheet to find out if it needed it or not. Limited slip rear ends need the extra additive (expensive stuff too, like $10-15 a tube).

Street_race_dreamer
145

It could be the diff, but it could also be the brakes. The rear brakes on a Liberty, to my knowledge, are drum brakes. If it isn't the diff, have the adjusters in the drums looked at, or just the rear brakes in general. some brakes grind more in reverse. Wait, hold on, isn't a Liberty a front-wheel drive car? If it is, have the brakes and bearings serviced because there is no rear diff. I'm too lazy to look up the info.

Derek Slunt
125

no, libertys are rwd or 4wd not fwd

JDOBMW325es
55

I wonder if your parking brake works. I was checking out a friends SUV which made a similar sound. The parking brake was broken.

Mike Jee
255

your difff is fucked rebuild or replace