2006 jeep liberty wont start

kaykay7110
135

Asked by Apr 15, 2013 at 04:02 PM about the 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD

replaced starter, battery, tested alternator fine, replaced crankshaft sensor and it still wouldnt turn over
then we replaced the camshaft sensor and it turns over and and wants to start but not starting the
engine??

any catastrophic problem put this engine out of commission prior to this attempt?

hate to say it, but perhaps is too soon to tell....okay, put a compression tester on there to see if it's getting good compression...think that perhaps you've jumped a timing belt tooth~

kaykay7110
135

Well if you want to know how this happen I was driving in the rain the other night and a car almost hit me so i pressed on my breaks and my breaks shudder then i went back to driving normal then 3 mins later I kind of feel my jeep loose power I look down and my check enginge light is flashing and when i pressed on the gas i heard like dudddddd from the engine but NOT like it was a rod and my rpm was not going past 2k and so i didnt want to pull over on the highway so i pressed on the gas till i got to the exit and then pulled in to a parking lot and it acted like it wanted to die so i pressed on the gas and it went and then i parked and shut it off. when i tried to start it again it acted like it had a dead battery so I had it towed back to my place replaced battery sarter then tested alternator cranshaft sensor still would turn on act like it was gone turn over but then would stop, so we changed the cam sensor and it turns over not stopping just not starting the engine

I'm so sorry kaykay. This does not sound like it's going to have a cheap solution. Have someone pull the timing case off and note the position of the sprockets, since you were still driving it, all hope is not lost, I can price out a timing chain kit, which includes a tensioner and wear foot, but will take a little more than a weekend to bring it around...barring any valve damage (sounds like you're free and clear here)...but sight unseen going to....well have someone pull the timing cover off...then we'll talk...~

kaykay7110
135

yeah i was afraid of that or a pcm which scares me to! but okay can do on that!!! will get back to you in a little bit heading down to it now. thanks

2002-2007 Jeep Liberty Timing Chain Kit - Cloyes - OE replacement

wow. three chains. and I thought this was going to be complicated~

7jimmy7
16,715

pull air cleaner check for water intake.jacks nocked loose,crank with wide open throttle

I disagree with my co-hort DO NOT run the engine at all until the sprockets have been put right/new timing chain installed, we don't want ANY more damage~

...respectfully, of course Jim~

kaykay7110
135

well when we go to try and start it we pump the gas and we can smell it from the engine, and we car gonna do a compression check tomorrow so after that we can go from that we can go to the timing chain!

yay kaykay...we love you!

kaykay7110
135

awwww!!! that made my day better Roy lol

look it up jim and post it. be helpful~

okay jimmy m'boy was onto something Rockauto will just sell you the primary chain for cheap no tensioner and also the price is excellent- hat's off jim~

kaykay7110
135

I kind of know about cars so I'm not all blonde my dad was a mechanic but jimmy i dont quite understand, (pull air cleaner check for water intake.jacks nocked loose) are you talking about the air filter part? and i dont quite know what jacks knocked loose is can you give me an idea please! thanks

kaykay7110
135

okay thats great!!! hope its not that but well see!

no one knows what in the hell he's talkin' about, there is a certain aire of deniability that way~

kaykay7110
135

Lol ohh Roy woman are to just we only do it when some one is messing with our family or man!

7jimmy7
16,715

and do us a favor ,come back with what was the problem so we can learn something , bet your father would find these answers hilarious !

kaykay7110
135

I will Jimmy, lol he would, he probably would already know the problem as he was a diesel mechanic and worked on chevys and fords and built race cars RIP dad miss you! No helper Roy kind of sucks I work 3-11 n have very little time to work on it till Saturday n Monday but its okay if I can't fix it I'll destroy it :) N PS not a flirt was just telling the truth about woman I am just open and very easy to talk to!!

81,215

"so we changed the cam sensor and it turns over not stopping just not starting the engine" --- the compression test will tell for sure but if it was a interference engine, it wouldn't turn over. The chain could have jumped a tooth but it ran normally for some time after the braking incident. --- It did have a flashing CEL so getting the codes read will tell you what system failed. It sounds like the ECU went into "limp mode" and that caused the restricted RPM's.

kaykay7110
135

Haven't done test yet sorry! So if compression is good and I just jumped a tooth can it I just retime it? Or U said its in limp mode how do I get it out of it...Jimmy I don't know if that was suppose to be mean or good? I am very good and faithful to my bf soon to be fiancee but him on the other hand hasn't but this is not a place to talk about my life its about my Jeep that's being a ass!

kaykay7110
135

Quick question..can a oil pressure sensor or knock sensor not make my engine start?

no it can't kaykay7110~

compression would be crap, that's how we know one of your timing belts jumped a tooth...and if I were a betting man would say the others aren't far behind, but yes this fantasy of putting it right and NEVER ever again having a panic-stop, putting the mill out of commission is mere fantasy~

81,215

"So if compression is good and I just jumped a tooth can it I just retime it?" - You could but it would do it again. You would need to replace the chain and tensioner. If your chain jumped a tooth, it's worn out. -- It will leave limp mode when the engine is running right. The ECU enters limp mode to protect the engine and get you off the highway.

kaykay7110
135

Thanks Roy and tenspeed!! I have never done a compression test on a newer car use to mustangs so IM having a friend come do it, hoping its tomorrow

kaykay7110
135

Haven't done a compression check yet as still waiting for the guy to come over but I had my brothers friend come over and he said IM not getting no spark and my oil smells like gas?

ShadeTreeNC
10

It has been a long seven months. It was a very interesting story. I would love to know how it ended...

latina40
35

My 2003 jeep liberty was running fine until i noticed a oil smell wen i start the engine and today i went to do some erants then i make a last stop and wen i done my jeep wont start at all it sound like it needed gas so i put gas knowing that it dont need none but still put some still not starting, had to pull the jeep home and after and hour or so it starts great