I was driving down the road and engine died suddenly. Then pulled over and put it in park . I tried to start it again but it does absolutely nothing no clicking or any thing. Good battery just had it

Kidd1214
35

Asked by Kidd1214 Mar 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM about the 1999 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan

Engine size is 2.5L V6  24v DOHC , checked battery not the problem . Engine succenly died on the interstate and
then won't crank. Starter won't do anything.... Need help

judge_roy

I suspect bad ground, although may issue the voltage, 300 CCA is not being delivered because the other side of the ground, connection to the frame is dirty and to the engine also needs to be free of contaminants...this way the ECU will not be operating with "BROWN" power causing confusion and unreliability...it is this ground what drives everything on and under the dash, it's imortance for a clear shot back to the battery will make the difference in electrical performance, including a catastrophic failure such as the one you've experienced.

judge_roy

Batteries will be unable to accept a charge 10 percent per year, so if it's more than five, cash it in for a pro-rated interstate, foremost for reliability and guaranteed, swear by 'em. My dad provides the engineering for their golf-cart division. Got no money, do a load test, which issues a dead-short for a couple of seconds and sees how long it takes to bounce back from this traumatic experience...no bounceback=dead soldier. hungrily accept up to 20 amps charge=healthy battery.

Kidd1214
35

Well I can tell you it's not the battery. I turn on the key to the start position and the dash lights come on and then go off like normal. And I doubt it's the alternator cause the engine just suddenly died and I still have plenty of battery juice. I'm thinking it's in the ignition cause the engine was running but died no noise when it died just went off and wouldn't crank or start or anything after that. I can listen to the radio just fine but it just does nothing at all when the key is turned to try and turn the engine back on. IDK what could cause the engine to just die and then the starter not to work after . Any help would be a blessing...

judge_roy

let's test the power to the solenoid, shall we? have an assistant turn the key, and you will measure if you've got 12v, multimeter or test light either will tell if turnin the key asks the solenoid to shoot out....do this and tell me that there's 12V, lets move onto the starter solenoid...testing and operation.

Stephhanie78
30

My car died and will not start when try key turns over but no click or nothing

judge_roy

grab a wirebrush and undo the bolt that holds the big fat 1/0 cable (from the battery) and clean off the spot where the lug attaches...remember coarse wirebrush till shiny...then put the lug back with the bolt and washer and note the connection for the engine (where the starter is)...this one also needs the AMPERAGE that a meaty cable connection can provide, so assure this connection if clean and can do the 300 AMPS power~....thanks...judge_roy

judge_roy

the chassis to engine connection is probably a lug mounted to the block near your alternator...if you misunderstood the rant about POWER to the starter...is bolted to a flange and this flange gets it's ground connection from the block....and the block gets it's connection from YOU making sure the frame has Electrical to the tune of three hundred amps....a smaller wire will simply glow red and catch fire~

franpp
0

I need a red light on my left side on my car

Luke Haynes
20

Ok first go to the junk yard and get the light for the other side because you posted a photo of the right side