Automatic shift lever problem.

wildbill050
0

Asked by wildbill050 Jan 15, 2012 at 04:23 PM about the 1999 Isuzu Rodeo 4 Dr LS 4WD SUV

I have a hard time moving the shift lever from park into gear. Do I have a bad switch
in the lever, or is there a another switch maybe on the brake peddle that's not
working.

N8dogg
435

Okay, when your engine is running there is a slight amount of sensing voltage that runs through your brake circuit which is why you have to step on the pedal to change gear. This may not be your problem but everyone else I've ever helped with this situation had a similar cause for not being able to go into gear. First thing to do is get in turn of all sources of noise like the ac or stereo and start the engine. Then lean down close to the center console and press up and down on your brake pedal. Every time you do so it should make a slight clicking sound. That sound is the solenoid in your shift lever that is tied into the brake circuit which prevent theft/accidental shifting without the brakes being pushed in. If your not hearing that sound then it's time to start taking apart your console. Sometimes just unplugging and plugging the darn thing in will make it work again, or you might be able to just leave it unplugged as I've done in other cars. In any case who needs a shift lock button anyway?

yz250chick
405

My shift lock was hanging up and making it difficult to move out of park. There is a cable that runs under the dash to the console. Mine was stretched and needed adjustment. The photo attached proved helpful when I adjusted mine. I can't recal where I finally found the information (sorry author!). Works like a charm now in my 2000 Rodeo.

lever
0

dr sir lever problem