2000 Ford Taurus Electric Power goes off then comes back on

jnbrown
20

Asked by jnbrown Jan 31, 2014 at 05:59 PM about the 2000 Ford Taurus SES

I am in the military and just got an assignment in Alpena Michigan. My 2000 Ford Taurus has started acting strange. On a couple hour trip I first notices the lights in the instrument panel started slowly burning out from left to right (over a long period of time but short and consistent enough to cause concern). Sometimes I hear a clicking noise (sounds electrical) while the car is on. Recently I lost all power and barely made it back on base. I thought it was the cold (-30F). I replaced the alternator and had the battery checked. All checked out. Again today while the car was parked but idling I came out and the car was still running however all power was lost and the car was struggling to stay running. I reved the engine and even the RPM gauge didn't move. Then there was a faint click noise and RPM's shot up and all power came back on. Can anyone help me? I have the Haynes repair manual and try to do general maintenance myself but electrical is beyond the scope of my comfort in relying on myself to fix it. I have to travel again on Sunay. Do to the extreme cold and isolation in driving I do not want to break down in the wildnerness. Thanks for any help/advice you have. I am hoping it is a quick fix that I can take care of with minimal tools.

jnbrown
20

Sorry for the typos (fyi). I was rushing. Normally I spell check my posts but did not here.

tuff4x4
12,855

Sounds like the catalytic converter in exhaust stopped up. When it acts up have someone put their hand over the tailpipe and see how much exhaust comes out when you rev it wide open. It should blow your hand back when you mash it to the floor.

76,765

Check all battery connections. Also check the negative battery connections on the frame and motor. They too must be clean and tight. Sounds like you might be loosing your ground connections.

Best Answer
jnbrown
20

Thanks so much for you answers/input so far. I really appreciate it. I will check both the catalytic converter and the ground tomorrow... I am hoping it is just a simple loose ground. I really appreciate you guys taking time to answer/give advice.

76,765

Good luck. And THANK YOU for your service to our country.

tuff4x4
12,855

keep us posted

jnbrown
20

I will let you guys know tomorrow. I tried to click on "best answer" for both simultaniously but it didn't let me...lol... Serving brings me great honor. Doesn't matter if you serve in cammo and combat boots or in a forum helping people fix their cars... Service is service so thank you for yours. It is no less valuable and even from me, doing what I am passionate about, realizing you guys are doing the same, none of us getting rich just doing what we love helping others... THANK YOU... I should just buy a new car but I am one of those live cheap get rich give it away do it yourselfers... If that makes sense?

tuff4x4
12,855

We appreciate all you guys do for us.

jnbrown
20

Well "we all" appreciate you guys doing what you doing what you do for us too. Don't think one side is less selfless than the other. We do what we do for each other and that's what brings us joy. Thanks Brother!!!

jnbrown
20

more typos... I am blaming my computer. ***we all appreciate you guys doing what you do for us too***

76,765

Keep us informed and Drive Safe.