My 2000 Focus won;t stay started

tex_nass
0

Asked by tex_nass Apr 28, 2008 at 03:43 PM about the 2000 Ford Focus SE Wagon

My 2000 Focus has a 1/2tank of gas but it died on the road. Can''t be a tune-up because it starts good when fuel is poured manually into throtlle body. For the same reason,can''t be the fuel pump. It stalls after the l''il fues is used up.
It's 2.0 ltr, SOHC & has 141 thou mls. Check engine diagram flashes in the gauges screen

Luke Siversen
65

it is probably your mass air sensor.

Paul Patterson
125

We had a 2000 ZX3 that would try to stall under cornering. Try looking at the filters (specifically the fuel). If I remember properly, that was the problem with our's, and it was around 85k miles. Check engine light could be MAF sensor, blown head gasket, any number of things. My old Mustang got the engine service light at 120k, and the head gasket was the biggest problem, even though it didn't spew out smoke. That's good mileage for a base engine though.

Adam Hughes
135

The trottle body actually controls how much air your engine intakes. It could be your idle air control valve, if your car will run with your foot on the gas, but not in idle.