Car shuts off when I'm stopped

hzais0
0

Asked by hzais0 Sep 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM about the 2000 Ford Focus LX

My car is a 5speed focus.  When I come to a stop, whether it be at a stop light, or simpy switching directions from backwards to forward, my car shuts off.  I was told it could be a vacuum leak.  Anyone have any ideas about this?  Where is the vacuum located, how much will it cost to fix?  Can I fix it myself?  Could it be something else?

papa

yes could be a vac leak,get a can of break cleaner or carb cleaner,DO THIS ON A COLD ENGINE,start car let it idle,spray around the vac lines,intake,if engine speeds up you have found your leak,if not,take out the IAC and clean it with carb cleaner.if your car has a EGR clean it to.

Patrick Reynolds
105

Mine did tht about a month ago, it ended up being O2 sensor bcuz it wouldn't idle

papa

A bad 02 sensor will through a SES light,It will not cause an engine to stop running,it will lower the gas milage because it is giveing the computer a false emission reading.

josh24134
0

i have a Mitsubishi 1997 v6 3ltr and when i break it turns off or at lights i recently put a pod filter on it it was okay for about 2 days then this started i have put the old filter back on and this is still happening ??

josh24134
0

i also took the battery out and used it to start another car and thats when this started ??