Overheating. Just replaced radiator and thermostat, but still hasn't fixed the problem.

Laura Wood
10

Asked by Laura Jul 23, 2013 at 06:17 AM about the 2002 Hyundai Accent GL

My car overheated the other day, and it was leaking coolant horribly. I got a new radiator, which stopped the leaking, but the car was still overheating so then we tried replacing the thermostat but it is overheating even now. I spent my entire check on getting those things fixed, what now? I just got paid again but don't have much to spare towards getting it fixed, so I need to make it count. What can I do myself to find the issue? I'm not very handy with tools, and will need a pretty thorough explanation. Thanks if you can help!

pt4857
20

Check your engine oil, if it looks milky on the dip stick you have cracked the head, water is getting into your engine, to fix the head has to come of.

pt4857
20

Also, make shore the fan belt is still on, this may be way it overheated in the first place.

Laura Wood
10

okay, the engine oil was fine. I'm going to check the belt when I get home, but wouldn't it have been something the guy noticed when he put my radiator in?

judge_roy

there is a little "straw" that returns the coolant into the top of the reservoir jug...seen that little tube fall of into the reservoir bottle...causing the overheat for lack of coolant flow~ pop open the translucent bottle and see if the "return" straw is dippin' down into the reservoir jug...this is an important 7 cent bit of plastic which will cause your overheat if not present~