1991 Honda Civic DX died on the highway two nights ago. It was about 20 degrees out. It had been struggling to accelerate for about 10 miles, and I could barely keep it above 50 in a 65, and was forced to downshift repeatedly to keep the speed up. When I tried to restart it, it would just chug and not start. Oil levels were fine. Tried starting it for 30 min, and it started finally with my foot on the gas, but would die as soon as I eased off. The next morning, about 45 degrees F, it wouldn't even start, just chugchugchug... In the past 8 months, the plugs, wires, distributor rotor, alternator, main relay, ignition switch, and fuel filter have all been replaced. Tried jump starting it, but it didn't help. The various warning lights come on when I turn the key. I can hear the fuel pump cycle when I do so, and then a click under the dash, which I assume is a relay. But actually starting the car just results in chugging until I release the key.

HBreck
135

Asked by HBreck Feb 03, 2013 at 03:56 PM about the 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback

59,255

Try starting fluid. I suspect a worn fuel pump or clogged filter so it would be a lack of fuel.

Josh Kucy
5

Starting fluid works on carbutated cars, not fuel injected cars. There is a connector behind the glove box of older Honda's. Jump the connector and the check engine light will start to flash. depending on how many times it flashes, it will give you a code. Refer to a website for this code and it might help you on your way. I have owned 6 Civics (years 1990-1996) so I know what I'm talking about :)

2,445

what happened to those 6 cars?

HBreck
135

Appreciate the suggestions, everyone. Turns out the rings are fried. No compression in 3 cylinders. Replacing rings is beyond my capabilities and budget. Possibly new car time.

2,445

"now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried" sorry thats what came to my mind lol

HBreck
135

Ha! Well, if Vin Diesel wants it, he can have it.

Takoda Fraser
865

you could get a new block its easy to take apart a motor and put it back together