My car needs help?

anaconda6
0

Asked by anaconda6 Feb 28, 2007 at 11:13 PM about the 1991 Honda Accord EX

I was driving my 1991 Honda Accord on the thruway and the car started to slow down then shut down. We managed to get it over to the side of the road but it would not start. It acted as if it wanted to but wouldn't. We had the car towed and the mechanic I had work on my car said he replaced the distributor cap only and the car started right up but had a loud knock type noise coming from the engine. Before the car broke down the engine was quiet. Do you know what could be wrong the car or how I can get it to stop making that noise?

bovan
9,570

Hello anaconda6-- We never like to hear a knocking sound because that could mean many bad things. In your case however, I would guess that the mechanic did a bad job replacing that distributor cap. If the cap itself is loose or if he installed the wire incorrectly, you will get that knocking sound. Get a "qualified" mechanic to look at it right away. Good luck from Bovan.