my honda civic cuts off when I give it gas, it idles and starts just fine but when i put it in gear and give it gas it cuts off

nm
90

Asked by nm Apr 09, 2012 at 10:19 PM about the 1992 Honda Civic LX

what is wrong with my 1992 civic it cuts off when I give it gas, it idles and starts just fine but when i put it in gear and give it gas it cuts off

curfew
100

i would look at your throtal body

Best Answer
nm
90

I will tell the tech. tomorrow he has already replaced the distributor,,,whole thingy and the fuel filter, and the fuel tube nut & adapter and the throttle position censor now i will suggest that...... :}

Thomas Johnson
115

u check the fuel pump homie

nm
90

yep my tech changed the distributor , fuel filter, fuel tube nut & adapter and something called a throttle position censor...help ..so far as of today they called the factory to see what else it could be it has been in the shop since last thursday morning...

Thomas Johnson
115

so what exactly is it doing

nm
90

well it first stated last monday after i got gas at shell as always...it stopped twice before i could get out of the gas station,,but started and sputter so i floored it for a min. and it drove fine. On tuesday it drove fine, wednesday spit and popped and on thursday after going 65 on the freeway when i got off the exit and tried to excelerate it started losing steam and slowed down by itself until it stopped on the side of the road..so i call a friend and it set there for about 30min and started but was running ruff it went 1 block and cut off...got it to start again and drove it 2 miles and parked it. called a tow because the mechanic thought it might be the motor and did not want to do further damage and it has been with them since thursday... scratching their heads... they say it wil start and idle but if they give it a little gas it just cuts off.

You think this is helpful.
Thomas Johnson
115

is it carburetated or throttlebody and also look into a pcv valve

nm
90

well the technician took off the carburator and parts and sent them back and will be trying a fuel pump/filter, and stuff...i am tired and need my car

2,405

get a new mechanic! he's running up your bill. i would check to see if theres a vacuum line disconnected or has a hole in it. also you mentioned they replaced the distributor. did they check the spark plug wires or spark plugs? last but not least, did they check the air filter?

nm
90

great answer..they will have it 1 week 2morrow...still nothing

Keith Went
335

your mass airflow sensonr may be dirty/blocked, clean the wire in it lightly with a q-tip

nm
90

thank yall so much...i will call and suggest this also..i have been calling them at least twice a day hope they are listening...if not then it is past time to go and get my car

2,405

id be curious to see how much they're going to charge you

Takoda Fraser
855

yeah sounds like you should check your plugs and wires first. then if that doesn't work then taking your plugs out after runnin your car at high throttle and pull out a plug to see if it is soaked in gas if so you might want to check your fuel pressure regulator cause if your plugs and wires and distributor are all good or new then that means that you're getting enough spark but too much fuel so check your fpr and your maf to see if they are clean and functional

nm
90

whewwwwww....that thought gives me chills...they are still trying to figure it out...I must go get my car tomorrow I may have to push it away.....

nm
90

thank you I will suggest that tomorrow before I take it away...

2,405

good luck and keep us posted

keeliebee
90

hi, please update and let us know what happened with your car. i'm having the same problem and would love to know what caused your issue and how your resolved the problem. thanks!

Oscar Acevedo Mendoza
20

i have a sort of smilar problem... car starts and idles fine, the problem begins when I throw in on 5th gear reaching highways speeds. im going about 60 mph and the gas all suddent cuts off but engine is still running, i let loose of gas and pump it again and i have to drive it for a while like that until problem stops. I have yet to check spark plugs and wires.,. any other suggestions on what the problem might be? - Oscar

rodneycrr
100

i had the same problem where it idles fine but when you give it gas it bogs or even die... what i did was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdpP4wxBvpA&feature=player_detailpage#t=69s took it for a drive and ran perfect im thinking the fuel line had air in it from running it low on gas.

93civiclover
20

I kno this things old.but my 93.civic does like the same stuff it idles fine til I hit the gas sumtimes itll sit parked runnin fine for ten mins other times I run it 5 mins it makes a noise like its missin or sumthin I cant even drive it down the road without it acting up ive changed distributor and fuel filter I do run it way below E alot could that have anything to. Do with it..it still acts up when I fill the tank im so lost ive had my car for 7 years its ran fine ive never had any problems like this I really need help cuz everyone whos lookd at it I have a list of what everyones told me..please help

Shane Cox
175

for everyone suggesting a mass air flow sensor this civic does not have one. civic lover do you have any check engine codes? it may be a long shot but try the filter attached to your fuel pump just pull it and look

93civiclover
20

sorry late response. My bf has been workin on it since 8am its now 12:35am..an we thought it was fixed but it wasnt. He started it up this morning it was 45 out he drove it askd if i got it fixd cuz it ran like it nvr had problems. It warmed up (the motor) an it idles fine u put in drive hit gas it sputters acts like its gonna die. Sumtimes it dies out an it sounds like abuncha air comin thru my air filter an it goes poof an it looks,like smoke comin outta,my filter. No check engine light. Sumone did code on it an came bak.ignighter in distributor we changed ran fine allllll day til i came home that evening its acted up since an thats the last time ive drove it around town afraid it wont start i cant afford a tow lol. Im honestly so lost at this point im starting to lean towards maybe computer? My dad said maybe main relay ..it clicks on just about everytime its missed clicks a couple times. Im just tired of googling my problem an gettin nowhere cant afford to take to a shop lol. Thanks for replying sorry so long of reply. Tried to give as much info as i can. We did rent a tester thing for the fuel pump an my bf said its good. Im gonna run that filter to fuel pump by him an see..hes really hating my car right now

Shane Cox
175

ok do you still get the code for ignighter? if no take the coil out and look at the sides there may be hot spots that when it gets hot it arches through to ground it out. so many things could cause this and it is very hard to even try and help when we cant look you know lol but the main relays go bad frequently specially in hot and cold weather. the solder on the board is usually the culprit. usually you getting smoke out the filter would be a back fire or bad valve(seating) etc make sure the timing hasnt jumped

Ageless
30

My 91 civic dx turns off when I accelerate at the light 3 times already :( sucks

You think this is helpful.
stick9
40

It could either a faulty relay, the one that regulates the fuel pump circuit. Could be a dirty fuel pump sock. Could be a fuel pump going bad. Could be bad gas. Could be a faulty ECU. Could be a faulty Fuel Pressure Sensor. It could be a clogged fuel filter. Could be a faulty ICM. It could also be a faulty distributor. Perhaps time to change out the spark plugs, rotor, and distributor cap. It can also be a faulty ECT. Factually it could be anyone of these, or a combination of...

You think this is helpful.
Jake Grahovec
40

Soundz like you have a blocked catalytic converter. Thats the worst case sinerio . Exhaust build up or exceeded exhuast fumes cant get throgh so giving it gas causes the exhaust to rush out but build up in the cads ...meaning very little e haust getting through. Take out the secondary o2 sensor the one leading into exhaust manifoldthen start for car if it runs and they sound loud but if you give it gas and it sounds like your PM's and car revs up more than likely Be your Cadillac converter

Jake Grahovec
40

Dont leave your o2 sensor umplugged flames come through that hole so it can. Be dangerois to. Drive with o2 semsor taken out

Perez760
0

My 95 honda civic had the same problem and i just change the fuel injecters and is working fine

gage0713
0

there are a lot of things it could be if anything else doesn't work you should check your fuel lines your car doesn't need much gas to idle but if your fuel lines running from your tank to the carb are old or worn they can kink causing you to loose gas at some points it can get enough gas to run but it will kink I had the same problem so check the whole fuel line system

Billy Todd
0

Clean your fuel injectors. Not with a gas tank adaptive but directly clean em

Shorty_harris
0

Anyone find out what is is my 89 is doing it now and I don't wanna sell it if it's an easy fix

Pkp
0

I have a similar problem with my Honda 2000 with Vtec engine. I have replaced the distributor cap, plugs. Took it to the shop. He tried different things. Now he tells me timing chain is jumping. Says to replace it also need to change half block or swap with a different engine. I don't believe it. But other than spending 400 bucks replacing fuel pump, filter, and some electronics don't know how to identify problem.

Pkp
0

Is there a way I can see if I am getting fuel to to injectors?

queen20101988
0

What does it mean when you have the sport light on and your car starts at secound gear.what is the problem? Need help!

KatwithanewCat
0

I have a 96 Honda doing this same thing. So far I have replaced the Cat but it is still backfiring/stalling. My part was bad but replacement didn't fix the issues. Still tracking and looking for an answer. My plug wires are dry with no indication that they are failing. I am going to replace the fuel filter as I can do that myself tomorrow.

Bulldogg de Kalle
0

i have the same problem i turn my 2001honda civic it sounds quiet but when i put it in first gear n i rev it, it runs to a certain point den it dies n sputters so i put it to 2 nd gear samething it runs den it sputters until i reach 5 th gear wat i do hear is censors dat go on and off on the computer when i first start da car i just did a full single swap but didnt change da computer wat u guys think

Anthony Chambers II
10

check the wire harness ground, fuel filter, injectors could be bad, and fuel pump. depending on what yr check the crank position sensor..

You think this is helpful.
angelfernando118
0

I just recently started havin the same problem with my 1998 honda ciciv. it start fine, but when i put it on D to drive it start shaking;backfiring like bullet are been shot from the exhaust, and when i give is some gas it die- out.now here is where it get a little tricky, they are many variable or many thing that can cause the problem.but if you are just like me i know you don't mind paying or spending money to get your car running again, but the one problem you defenily don't wana have is spend too much money and not solving the problem.

angelfernando118
0

Here is how to tackle or solve the problem minimixing the amount of money you spend.don't change the distributor cap or the rotor or the cable wire or the spark plug with out first checking weather it work or not. What you need to do first is turn the car on, when the car is on located the cable wire where they meet with the spark plug, pull one at a time. And everytime you pull a cable from the spark plug the engine should shake or turn off completely.if it turn off completely don't be alarm, just connect the cable and turn the car back on, the car should shake or turn off every time you unplug any cable. And if in all the wire was a shaking or the car turn off them it is not the dirtributor i repete it is not the distributor.

angelfernando118
0

Next step is to locate the fuel injector, disconect the electric wire from the fuel injector one at a time, the car should shake or turn of completely on all injector, that is good new it mean that all your fuel injector are working,

angelfernando118
0

Next step is to located the fuel filter, take the filter out and clean with clean gasoline.

angelfernando118
0

Next step requare a little more experience with car, and that is to check the fuse box located next to the battery and the fuse box inside the car and check for any burn fuses but the one that you need to put expecial attention is the one that say fuel pump.

angelfernando118
0

By now if there was a cable from the distributor that did not make the car shake or turn off, them you can change the distribution. By now if there was a fuel injectin that did not make the car shake or turn off you should have changed the fuel injection.By now if there was a burn fuse you should have replace the fuse. And if your lucky, the problem has been solve.as for me i have not been able to solve my honda's problem,and if you are like me and have not been able to figure out what the problem is i have bad new for you.the. next problem i'm about to tell you cost a whole lot more.