What could be causing my 94 accord to not start in hot weather?

mackman
40

Asked by mackman Apr 01, 2012 at 05:08 PM about the 1994 Honda Accord EX

I've replaced the main relay, distributor, rotor, cap, plugs and wires.

walth
2,135

how old is your battery? extreme cold / hot causes more strain on the battery. just a thought.

mikloskiraly
375

Does the car turn over when hot but won't start? If yes then you probably have Fuel Vapor Lock, open gas cap and you should hear a SSSSSSSSS sound. this is a sign of vapor lock. Is the starter straining when hot? If yes replace starter.

Don Helms
85

fuel pump relay under steering column had the same problem with my 92 honda accord

mackman
40

The battery is fairly new only a year old or so. It turns over but doesn't start I have to wait for the engine light to go off then it starts. I do hear the SSSSS sound when I open the gas cap. The starter doesn't strain at all. I understand the fuel pump is controlled by the main relay and I've replaced the main relay. I'm just lost right now as to why it wont start in hot weather.

walth
2,135

interesting. I would try spraying starter fluid / carb cleaner into the air box (about 2-3 seconds worth) and then try starting the car. If it starts, you have a fuel delivery issue. I would also recommend getting an EVM (electrical & vacuum manual) and then start checking voltage at different points in each circuit and a honda forum may be of much more help than random gear heads :)

mackman
40

I've tried spraying the air intake with starter spray and it doesn't work. I'm thinking it's electrical / relay or something. I'll look into getting an electrical & vacuum manual and checking voltage. Not sure how to do that but I'll figure it out. I really need to get it starting when I need it to without waiting a half hour or more for the engine light to go off.

walth
2,135

All you need is a multi-tester and with your EVM check different circuits. You'll need a hand to check the ones in the engine bay though. Yeah, it definitely seems electrical

mackman
40

I definitely appreciate the help and advice I'll check those things asap and see what I find. Thank you. I'll check back and let you guys know what I find.

kgadgets
40

I have the same prob. w/91 accord. Replaced Thermal air valve,egr valve, start(booster), valve, and air pump. I've resoldered the main pgm fuel relay, all to no avail. It has a loping startup. Ten sec. later it runs fine. Drive awhile, shut it off and it will start right up. But wait ten mins. it wont start at all. Please help!

Torres64
30

My Honda accord 1994 I change the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay no start no gas in lines

walth
2,135

Please start a new question Torres64