Randomly dies... replaced so many parts. Please help!

arieldmw
0

Asked by arieldmw Jan 14, 2013 at 02:54 PM about the 1995 Honda Civic EX

I have a 95 Honda Civic. At first my car randomly starting dying while I was driving, could turn it back on and continue driving to my destination (thought it was just cold). Then I couldn't leave my drive way without it dying and would take awhile to start up. Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter - was able to drive my car but it would still randomly die throughout the week. Also replaced spark plugs, distributer cap and wires, and brake master cyclinder because it started leaking brake fluid. Car was still dying - replaced ignition switch and tried dissconnecting aftermarket car alarm - still dying.  When my car "dies" the car is still on but the gas stops working, check engine light comes on, brakes go out, put in park, turn off, wait 2-3 min and start it up and continue on.

1,785

how old is the battery?

arieldmw
0

15 months

Kirk McCurdy
385

Could be the main fuel relay, common on that generation of hondas.

1,785

you replaced the ignition switch, spark plugs, cap and wires...what about the ignition coil?

mperrenoud
55

coil

1,785

did you check you battery cables for corrosion and make sure they were tight?

Takoda Fraser
795

honestly its probably the ground off your valvecover or another gound and i feel like a broken record saying this on most of these posts but that is probably what it is.

4,825

gas stops working becasue the motor is turning off, engine light comes on becasue the car is "on" but not running. Brakes aren't really out but will be hard to push due to no more vaccum assist. Coil, ground, relays are all good things to look at. It's something that is either loose or heats up till it wont work until it cools back down. Find a good mechanic to diagnose it after checking grounds, those aren't hard to spot and tighten