how can you tell if your o2 sensor is bad

bigheeman
15

Asked by bigheeman Feb 18, 2012 at 05:02 AM about the 1995 Honda Accord EX

I have a 1995 honda accord ex 4cylvtec motor. When I drive to work about 30 miles freeway .When i stop at the store and start my car it runs real rough and smokes and dies out. Once I get the car going it seems like it adjust itself and runs with little roughness in the motor.When it smokes it smells like its running to rich

2,965

when was the last tune up done?

bigheeman
15

I gave it a tune up a week ago plugs, cap, rotor, and the plug wire are about 5 months old

2,965

air filter? and is the firing order correct?

bigheeman
15

Thanks for trying Jonathan but if you can tell me without asking a question it would be more helpful

Ben Vincent
285

He's probably trying to narrow down what the problem is with your car, bigheeman. Your oxygen sensor is part of the emissions control system, so when the 'Check Engine" light comes on, it MIGHT be the oxygen sensor. There are many components in the emissions system, so when this light comes on the only way to tell which component is bad is to have it analyzed with a scanner that plugs in and runs a diagnostic check. This is done by a mechanic and ranges in price. If the 'Check Engine" light isn't on and you are just guessing at what the problem may be, then it would probably be good to take it to a reasonably priced mechanic and have them help you get it going. There is no way around taking the car to a mechanic, if you aren't able to diagnose the problem correctly yourself.

bigheeman
15

oh so the check engine light has to come on first? Well my check engine light doesnt come on i was just trying to figure out what i can check. thanks for the advice

2,965

it doesnt mean your oxygen sensor is bad, it means something else is wrong and the oxygen sensor is adjusting to compensate for it...but since you don't feel like answering questions to help narrow it down, you should just go to a mechanic.

bigheeman
15

Sorry Jonathan I didnt really mean i didnt want to answer questions its just that its already been a few days and I really needed a answer immediately. Your right about taking it to the mechanic. So again sorry about the misunderstanding and keep giving advice to those like me that look for them

Aaron Bingham
25

sounds like a pcv valve clogged up or valve seals could cause it to smoke. replace the pcv valve and go from there.

Najera1
0

I have a Honda accord EX 99 how do I know when the oxygen sensor is bad