why dose my 96 Honda civic ex idle really low sometimes turns off

mycivic
5

Asked by mycivic Jan 15, 2014 at 04:58 PM about the 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe

my 96 Honda civic idles at about 300 to 500 rpms and sometimes turns off when I stop

jimijobo
155

You need to clean the throttle body. You can Google instructions and see if this is something you can do yourself. In the meantime, it usually helps keep the idle up if you run the headlamps or heater fan while driving around in stop and go traffic. Small engines will rev higher than normal if one or two high amp draws are running (such as the headlights). Not a fix, but it should keep the car from stalling.

mycivic
5

cool thanks for the help do you knw anything about the (ELD) electrical load detector my civic has a code p1298 don't knw what to do autozone has no idea what it is its its a lil brown and black relay looking thing