my 96 accord lx started but when pulling away from stop signs it stuttered then cleared up and drove normally. once at the 3rd stop it stuttered again then it died. what is wrong?

96accordpos
20

Asked by 96accordpos Jun 11, 2014 at 06:53 AM about the 1996 Honda Accord LX

car stuttered when pulling away from stop signs/light, i pulled over then tried to drive away
again but my car died.

2,155

how well is the car maintained? do you do tune ups? ie change air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires etc

96accordpos
20

i haven't done any of that yet but have been thinking of it. the air filter looks fine at least it did. my car is in pretty bad shape. every time i turn around something is going wrong with it.

96accordpos
20

my battery has juice but it won't start. it won't even turn over, i turn the key and nothing.

96accordpos
20

also my battery light has been on for a couple of days now and i don't know why. it came on when my car started shaking a lot but that ended up being loose lug nuts. i thought it was a bad motor mount causing the shaking because i had been experiencing a shaking feeling in my gas pedal.

2,155

usually when the battery light is on there is something wrong with the charging system. i had a contour back in the day that had the battery light on and my alternator was junk. could only drive the car for an hour before i needed a jump. if the car can make it, have autozone or a similar place test the alternator.

jayb86
75

You can also take off your alternator have them tested n if u need a new one grab it n while your at it do a tune up I had an accord 91 same thing happen to me n I just replaced the alternator and did a tune up the car ran great after

96accordpos
20

i was at autozone a couple weeks ago because i had had problems with the car not starting without a jump as well as not turning off when i took the keys out. sometimes it would shut off after a minute like i had a turbo timer in it but most of the time it wouldn't shut off at all unless i pulled the fuel pump fuse or unplugged a spark plug cable. the guy at autozone said the alt was charging ok so we tested the battery with the negative cable unplugged and he said there was a bad cell. i put a new battery in it and it's been fine up until now. it started not shutting off again first with the delay then not at all. the last few days it's been shutting off ok.

jayb86
75

Thats good keep an eye on it I have changed batteries before n it just lead to the alternator giving out

96accordpos
20

it looks like my alternator did give out because my car won;t run for more than like 3 minutes after i get a jump. my cousin tested it yesterday while we had it running and he said the alternator was only producing like 5 or 6 volts. there also is power steering fluid all over the p/s pump and alternator which probably helped it go out.

jayb86
75

Did u over flow the power steering fluid??

96accordpos
20

i did not, maybe the kid who owned it before me did but i don't know. i think it might have a slight leak because it had fluid up to the bottom line and then i noticed it was below the line so i filled it up to the top line and it's been ok.

jayb86
75

Yea i would look for a leak in the line

96accordpos
20

it doesn't look like my p/s fluid is leaking but i'll keep an eye on it. it might have just been oil spillage from previous oil changes. i am now having a problem with my car shutting off again. i thought i fixed it when i put the new battery in but it's doing it again. some times it does shut off after a minute like it has a turbo timer but most of the time it doesn't shut off at all. the only way it shuts off is if i pull the fuel pump fuse out then disconnect the battery to shut everything else off. what's the problem with that?

2,155

have you looked at the ignition switch?

96accordpos
20

i have because my chilton said that the ignition switch could cause my radiator fans to not work. i put a new switch in figuring i'd kill two birds with one stone. it was the whole thing, wiring and all. i wired my fans up to a switch so i can turn them on and off but i keep forgetting to plug my fans back up and see if they're working again. hopefully it at least fixed my fan situation but it sure didn't make the car shut off every time.