where to find engine type

Aaron Daniel
0

Asked by Aaron Jul 16, 2013 at 01:05 AM about the 1996 Honda Accord LX

need to figure out what type of engine is my 1996 Accord. I tried using the vin to
figure it out . But I came up with K24A4 2.4L DOHC 1VTEC.I don't think that is correct. Always thought it was a 2.2 L and wasn't a vtec.

jamnblues
8,065

The LX has the F22b2 sohc engine- look at the top of the engine- you should be able to tell if there's one or two cam banks sitting up there

DavidH25

Which is 2.2 liter engine

DavidH25

And looking for a picture of that engine F22 led me to this, a spectacular shot of the moment an F22 breaking the sound barrier..if you like this sort of thing

Aaron Daniel
0

thx I found the correct number on engine block.Just got this car few months back . Now I believe It is a lemon. Already had to fix a bunch of minor problems and know finding the major ones.Car has started to run really choppy/loss of power at certain times. First time I was stopped at light. The light changed and the car died .restarted back quickly but could barley get it to move it off the road .Because of how choppy/loss of power. After I pulled off the road. I looked under hood and noticed some smoke. The Catalytic converter was bright red hot. After a few seconds of thinking the car was going to explode. I let it cool down for a hour . And babied it the few miles it was to home. Next day had my mechanic look at. HE was busy so he just took a quick look and listen. He could tell something was off . All he could see was the hose to the EGR valve had collapsed,r and was most likely clogged. So we deiced for me to go fix hose, and test drive for a few days.Well few days later started running choppy/powerless. But was doing it when I had to put more strain on motor. I pulled right over to check the cat at it was cool as usual.SO No I take back to mechanic and he hooks up is diagnostic machine and gets some TDC sensor error.After some more of me showing stuff about my enginge , he noticed the head gasket was blowing big bubbles thru radiator. SO no it sounds like head gasket is gonners. Was wondering where all my coolant was diapering to .Could never find any puddles or drips. So its looking like he is going to tear a part a good part off the motor to fix.So we talk about doing the timing chain while he was right there(would safe labor at a later date)and fix the TDC sensor, and fix head gasket.With part he quoted me around 600 to fix.I really need this car to last me a few years so Im wonderinf what I shouild do. 1 Just let mechanic to what I just said for $600 2 Just for the hell of it ask mechanic what it cost to just replacing motor with a crate engine. He He said it would cost about twice what the first bill was. But alleast I know that engine is good. 3.Or do I go buy rebuild kit and other parts that are needed. And with the help of a few (mechanically skilled) friends try to do are selves.not sure what it will cost on this one. SO what is my best option? Oh and apologize for rambling and poor use of grammar. BUT I don't give a shit...Any kind of help or a kick in the right direction would greatly appreciated .

jamnblues
8,065

ok- you wanna know what to do- how much money do you have? If you don't have a lot of money (like me) you do what you can afford- this mechanic sounds ok, so just go with the head gasket/valve job/timing chain- if you wanna spend more, go to your local magazine stand and get a copy of "Super Street" and wrap your head around that- pun intended

jamnblues
8,065

I'm, not kidding, get the latest issue of "Super Street"- it's the special Honda issue- and Janey lookin' REAL good

6,745

for the amount of buying a crate engine and installing it you could buy another cheap car such as another 96 Accord. Fix the head gasket, make sure coolant wasn't getting in oil. Drive it till it dies. I couldn't justuify rebuilding it if it isn't knocking, mixing oil and coolant, or doesn't have low oil pressure. Have the timing belt & kit done with the head gasket as preventative maintance.