More power from a F22 VTEC motor?

Chris Martorella
85

Asked by Chris Jul 24, 2008 at 01:49 AM about the 1996 Honda Accord EX Coupe

I have a 96 accord and I wanted to replace the head gaskets. Then ideas started popping in my head of things I could do while I was in their. My friend keeps telling me to have the motor bored out, but they want big money. What I want to know is what I can do to increase timing and power? Can I shave or grind the valves or piston heads for a better compression ratio? Im not much of a tuning guy I mostly just bolt my stuff on.

Jeff Petack
475

Machining an engine is not something you can do by hand. You will more than likely not have an even mating surface and cause issues. Your VTEC is an interference motor too. If you start shaving down the heads, you could risk slamming your piston right into your valves. Boring on that small of an engine won't give you much more HP, and it will cost more than what it is worth. Your best best is just doing bolt-ons, like exhaust and intake. With a small four cylinder, you aren't going to get power out of it unless you go the route of forced induction.

Anish Thomas
55

hi jeff, my 98 accord has a F20B motor, 145 HP. what Can u suggest ?

Jeff Petack
475

Same thing as above. Small displacement motors either need high compression or forced induction to make big power gains. Getting high compression can be difficult because it usually requires altering the internal rotating assembly and the valve train.

Adam Morgan
4,035

Agreed... You may have the ability to swap out rods and pistons though with the head off. I haven't rebuilt any Honda's so I can't be for certain on this particular engine, but on many engines you can either bring piston rod assembly down through the oil pan, or if there isn't enough room you can sometimes take it up and out through the top with the head off... As I said I haven't had my hands on one of these so I don't know if you'll be able to get to the rod bolts... Anyone know off hand?

Jeff Petack
475

Just swapping out rods and pistons isn't going to give him more power. Going with lighter weight stuff will see some gains but a few HP isn't worth the amount of money he would have to spend. He would have to take the head off to remove the piston/rod assemblies, unless he wanted to drop the crankshaft.

Adam Morgan
4,035

He'd get increased horsepower if he increased compression though... ~140 hp with 8.8 stock pistons... 12.1 high comp pistons gives about a 9% gain couple that with a thinner head gasket and he'll end up with ~14-16 hp gain... Additionally high comp pistons tend to give higher torque at low rpm's which gives a noticeable boost of acceleration. Also hp gains from other bolt-ons will be more effective on a high compression engine.

Matt Jacot
15

your wasting your time taking the engine apart and then rebuilding something totally unreliable. Get an H22, it bolts right up and saves a lot of headaches. It would be a total sleeper.

Jeff Petack
475

He might have to change the valve train, because it is more than likely an interference motor. The amount of money he'd have to spend to get that gain for changing the internals just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Chris Martorella
85

Thanks Jeff, the thing here is I have a cold air intake and a cat delete pipe with a cutout. I was just thinking there might be something I could do while I was in their. On the other hand I really dont want to f' up the VTEC.

James Lykins
50

Man, if they don't even have the slightest clue on how to increase power on his motor, what makes you think he knows how to do a tear down build it up himself? haha Just tell em... www.honda-tech.com use the search feature, PLEASE

Ricky Defreitas
10

motor swap. b20 bottom end and b16 or b18 top end equals cheap(not really cheap but cheap). but time consuming to find parts.

Uzzi Tufail
5

I'll insert some insight being that I'm really familiar with honda engines. I've rebuilt multiple ones and I have an Integra with a built b18c1 allmotor (gsr) and a 2002 s2k that i'm building for turbo. If your just doing a headgasket change then stick to doing just that. There isn't much you can do there except change out pistons, rods as aforementioned. Besides those mods themselves won't give you any big power gains unless you buy supporting mods. turbo....... cams.... etc. you get the point. Raising the compression will help but to take full advantage of it it needs to be raised a fair amount. Tuning for that compression is also smart which requires buying a tunable ecu. Or just an air/fuel controller. If you don't, then your car will run a little richer as the stock ecu will try to change timing to adjust your fuel being detonated earlier because of the increased comp. I see that you have a 1997 accord. I'm pretty sure your mileage is high so the last thing you want is for your car to run more rich. What I would do before taking the head of to change the gasket, is do a compression and leakdown test to see where your motor stands vitally in its current state. Those tests should tell you where some imperfections lie so you could fix those. You will spend more money on mods and supporting mods to get extra horsepower that the end result won't outweigh the financial investment. Fix the little things that you catch down there and stick to normal boltons. A healthy engine is best. Also, clean out your vtec solenoid. Usually the screen gets clogged over time and oil pressure drops a little. Clean out the screen and you will have a smoother vtec crossover.

Nick Mac
35

H22a swap FTW -it fits perfectly in the engine bay -or if you wanna keep it stock look for cams & hondata reflash for sleeper power..

Chris Martorella
85

Thanks for the advice man. I really do appreciate it. The VTEC solenoid was replaced about 3 months ago. I was actually looking into the Apexi Neo with VTEC adjustment. I just want more acceleration, but lack the time and funds for forced induction or a motor swap.

bigblu479
10

is a f22 a vtec?