I have a 1997 Honda Accord SE, my engine cranks but will not turn over i also seem to be losing gas very fast every time i try to start it. I have spark and we took apart the fuel filter yesterday and it did disperse gas so i know the fuel pump is working, any suggestions on where to go? also my check engine light comes on and flashes once for one second as well as my oil pressure light and battery i just added two quarts of oil thinking the oil pressure was to low to start the car which is a safety feature alot of hondas have, im running out of options and i refuse to pay a mechanic to fix it, as last time they absolutely ripped me off, please let me know i appreciate any input. Dan in Montana

dlink2389
0

Asked by dlink2389 Jan 08, 2013 at 04:17 PM about the 1997 Honda Accord Special Edition

DavidH25

Whoa, there. Check your engine oil and make sure you didn't overfill it....oil pressure and oil quantity are apples and oranges.. If it's overfull it's very important you drain it to the proper level. Now..you say it cranks but won't turn over...you mean not start? As 'losing gas'...do you smell gasoline? If so do not attempt to start it again, have it towed to a mechanic or you risk a fire. The car can be replaced: You can not be

dlink2389
0

Yes i checked the oil level it could actually use more oil so thats not an issue, as far as the gas no i don not smell gas that is why i am so baffeld as to why my gas gauge keeps going down it was over a half tank yesterday and now after multiple times of trying to start and fix it its now below the quarter level, I am going to call my Honda buddy and see what he thinks first, thank you for your feedback!

dlink2389
0

and yes cranks but wont start

DavidH25

Possibly gauge is malfunctioning from what you describe....where the heck would it go? If you have a Honda man..well there ya go. goodluck

dlink2389
0

thanks for the feedback

shaggy1981

smell the oil and see if it smeels like gas.

Trebor66
695

1st the check engine light only flash when it has had a FATAL condition in the PCM .That's is why it will not start.The injectors are not opening. To test it I would spray some starting fluid into the tube connecting the air filter to the throttle body.If it try's to run (start) for just a moment ,then your PCM is faulty. Under normal conditions the check engine light should come on before you try to start the car to indicate the bulb is good.Then go out when the engine starts,and not come back on unless the PCM (Power train Control Module) detects a problem.It only flashes when it has failed.

Trebor66
695

On the oil statement ,a car of that year didn't have a low oil level switch to prevent it from starting. FYI the oil pressure light should go out o the needle should show pressure within 3seconds of it starting to prevent engine damage.

shaggy1981

nope, sorry, the check engine light flashes one to five (dependant on the manufacturer) times to signify that the engine has not started.

jalisa12
0

hello need some help i have a 97 honda accord se wont start i replace plugs, wires ,cap, rotor button ,dist. main fuel relay. ecu, all these thing cant thing of anything else the car is getting gas and fire but wont sometime it would fire up if i pull the coil wire out and hold it by the cap were it plug into fire shut into the cap it starts can any body help me out there. here my email ivanyoung4@aol.com ( ivan)