1997 Honda Accord wont turn start

dlink2389
0

Asked by dlink2389 Jan 07, 2013 at 04:42 PM about the 1997 Honda Accord Special Edition

Just today we took apart the fuel filter and turned the igniton to the start position and gas did pump, so i know the filter and pump are good.  When we try to start the car it wont turn over and almost seems to die as we try, even hooked up to a jump starter.  We check the ignition spark and yes i have spark, so i am curious to what other electrical things i may want to check, and yes i checked all the fuses they are all good.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions, i have heard something about a main relay switch, but if its pumping gas i dont believe that is the problem.  Thanks for any advice.  Dan-Billings,MT

Michael Mierzejewski
1,700

There is a main fuse, but if you have power to the pump and ignition, that isnt the issue. Do you have good, blue spark? You need to have the proper fuel pressure, not just flow. Is your distributor cap in good condition? Is the rotor good?

dlink2389
0

Thanks for the feedback took apart timing belt cover unfortunately the timing belt is snapped in half so i know what the problem is now. It looks like quite a task to do yourself so wish me luck ha!

Michael Mierzejewski
1,700

Find out if its an interference engine first. If it is, you might as well just get a new head(s).

Michael Mierzejewski
1,700

Also, memorize the sound it made when turning with a broken timing belt. Very high pitched whirring kind of sound. Thats the sound of no compression. Now you know what a snapped timing belt sounds like if it happens again, youll instantly know what it is.