1998 Honda Civic DX shuts off while driving

peachy41
5

Asked by peachy41 Jul 18, 2011 at 03:10 PM about the 1998 Honda Civic DX

I have a 1998 Honda Civic DX with app 175K miles.  While driving, my engine light will come on  and the car will completely shut off.  I will try to start about 3 to 5 times but it will not start.  Eventually, the car will start and the engine light will go off.  I have had 2 mechanics check my car trying to re-create my issue but it does not happen so no one can give me a definite answer as to why this is happening or what needs to be repair.  I have been told it could be my fuel pump, distributor, iginition switch, distributor module.  I don't want to spend unncessary monies until I am certain what the issue is.  Any advice would be helpful?

Michael Crews
1,245

Had a similar experience in a 2000 civic ex. Turned out to be the distributor module. According to my mechanic, the plastic outer casing of these modules is two pieces, with a rubber seal holding it together. Engine heat degrades the seal over time, and heat, water, etc. contaminates the electronics causing first intermittent power failure, then total failure. My wife was coming home from work on a very busy Dallas, TX highway when the car just died!

droftnom
30

i got a 98 civic dx and fixed the same prob. took the main relay apart the solder was cracked resoldered it now its fine it was a $5 fix for soldering gun