Dashboard break light odd behavior

Vaiks
5

Asked by Vaiks Jul 07, 2009 at 11:37 PM about the 1998 Honda Accord EX

I have a 1998 4 cilinder Accord EX and I have a problem with my dashboard break light.

A few seconds after I start the car the light goes on. The parking break is released, the break fluid is OK and the break lights are all working.

The light stays on while driving but when I apply the brakes the light goes off. When I release the breaks, the ligth goes on. This behavior stays all the time while the car is on.

Teh brake pedal responds OK (not too hard or too deep) and the fluid is on the max mark. There are no brake fluid drops bellow the car on the garage and breaking performance is ok. ABS working normally.

I'm lost and can't figure out what is going on.

Mike Bonnell
6,445

First of all - Well described PROBLEM and you should be comended as 90% of posters do not post enough information to diagnose squat. The brake light and ABS light work in tandem.By your description the ABS light is working properly yet the brake light stays illuminated when the car starts and the goes out when the brake is depressed is my understanding. ( I would asume that this is not the LAMP OUT indicator - Right ?? ) If its not the lamp out indicator light and is the brake light ( The same one when the Ebrake is pulled ) then I would assume a few things. A bad brake light switch on the pedal - Disconnect it and see if the light is OUT when you start the vehicle. If its out then the switch is probably shorted internally. If its stays on then there is an external factor - possible the light sensors in each of the rear brake light assemblies. These are known to go bad with water intrusion. With brake light switch connected check to see if ALL three brake lights are working - EVEN the third brake light. If one of them lights are out then you have probably found yer culprit - the rear lighting sensors putting your light on and will have to be addressed at the light that is not working. Hope this helps and good luck