Engine shuts down while driving...

boo_bug007
25

Asked by Jun 02, 2008 at 06:33 PM about the 1998 Honda Accord EX Coupe

1998, 5 spd, 4 cyl, engine shuts down while driving between 20 and 60 MPH.  I know it's going to happen when i feel the car lose power and the gas won't feed, about 3 seconds later everything shuts down.  I pull over and wait a few minutes and she starts right up and keeps going.  Really weird.  No other problems.  Runs fabulously.    There is an after-market intake system on it, funky air filter may need cleaned?

Daniel Reed
2,455

You could have a clogged converter, when it gets hot it chokes the engine. On the other hand, it is more likely that you have a bad fuel pump. Same deal, when it gets hot, it stops working. Lastly, ignition distributors are bad about going out. Run your car in the driveway until it stalls. The pull a plug wire off, put and old spark plug in it, and hold it so the end is by the motor, like a bolt, and have a friend crank it. You will see a spark if the distributor is ok.

Aaron Salsbury
1,575

could be a bad ignition switch honda has put out a TSB for for the switch... check with a dealer to see if your car falls in the VIN range.

Robert Baysden
235

Check the TPS and MAF. If either one of those are bad or not connected it could cause the car to stall under heavy acceleration. Im not a professional, so dont quote me. I have some experience but I am not a technician.

Joshua Harrold
305

These hondas have a couple of things that will cause this, it is either the distriutor, the ignition switch starting to go bad, or the EFI main relay. the relay is the first step cause it is cheap 20 to 30 bucks from honda, the distributor is about 600 bucks and from my time at the shop dont try an aftermarket rebuilt, hondas dont like them and then you got to go to honda for the real one anyway. if it is the ignition switch just jiggle the key while the car is running, if it dies you are out about 100 bucks for the switch.

Brian Williams
105

I agree with Joshua on this one. My Accord had a similar problem, except it would not start sometimes as well. Moisture was getting into the starter cap and affecting everything inside. Just replaced the cap and assembly inside and works well once again. Was about 150 to 200 dollars I think. I don't think its your intake. I have one as well and if your filter was dirty, you would notice poor performance before it would shut down your car. Who knows until you actually give it a try. Hope someones advice helped!

durbin69
60

i have a 99 accord and it recent blowed the ecu/ cruise control fuse i changed it then it blew it again but after awhile it stop blowing well now it runs great but when i go to get down on it it dont seem to have the power it should idk what it could be before that fused blowed it ran good but ever since it did the mph gauge dont work and the engine light doesnt not even come on for the 2 sec it should and it use to stay on cause of the cat but i knew that and also the ignition has been shutting off on me like u just turn it off yourself idk what it could be i was thinking it was in the ignition i need help with it

Nicole Ford
230

my honda does this weird stall thing when i sit in traffic, it doesnt completely turn off it just sputters. its so hard to explain but you can hear the engine working like twice as hard. i havent done anything to fix anything yet

Andre Bell Sr
200

I have a 199 8 Honda Accord with a four cylinder it runs fine at times but sometimes it will shut down and won't start back up and when it do start back up it just hurt her and act like you're starving for Air are gas

Mindy Tucker
90

My 1998 Accord will shut itself off while I'm driving it. Have checked with Honda and there was a recall on the ignition switch (already replaced previously via recall) but the tech did say the ignition switch is a "wearable" part and could be going bad again. Parts and Labor $195-$205... will be taking it down later this week... will let you know if this was the problem or not. Another thing that can cause this is the key... it's a proximity key and if the car "loses" contact with the key it will turn itself off. New key... ~$30 Hope this helps...

lox305
140

Mindy pls update us thank u. I just had this issue yesterday. Engine shuts off randomly while driving and even while parked. Distributor replaced, did tune up, tranny fluid flush... I guess tomorrow I'll get the ignition switch fixed and the relay. No mechanic can pin point the issue So i have to try each one out as trial /error...sux... Btw no check engine light on. And when the car shuts off i noticed under the hood is kinda hot compare to usual and sometimes i have to put more water or coolant

Ladiiwilliams88
230

When I drive my car it will jerk while Im driving slow down real slow and then take off and cutts off. Sometimes it will crank back up and sometimes I have wait a while then it will crank...I have replace the cadiallic converter, map sensor, and a fuel injection and fill car up. And no one can pin point the problem...Any suggestion ???

Andrew Ramos
140

I have a 99 Honda accord and while I was driving on the freeway. It died for have a second the started back up. It was freaky. As soon as I got off. It died completely and I had to pull over and restarted again. And I made it home with no further problems. I installed underglow neon and subs a while ago. But reading other responses it could be different. Can someone help me out what this could be?

Adèle Salem
40

Same thing happened to my honda crv 1998 i replaced 2 electric parts inside the distributer everything is ok now

JhicksFromThaSticks
90

I was driving my 91 accord ex down road in the city in second gear about 10mph. Car just shuts off on me and doesn't start back up at all.... I've replaced distributor my main relay is fine.. New plugs new wires. And car still doesn't ever want to start.... What could be my problem??? I'm a Chevy person not a import type of guy... I'm lost at this. First import I've ever owned. Help me out please

Reelmechanic
90

I'm having same problem with 95 accord I replace fuel filter and found out that I was losing spark and would start when randomly get spark. I repaced coil dist cap and rotor and I still have shut off problem . my next move might be igniter but still not sure. I'm getting tired of the time and money I'm throwing at this car. Help!!!

Ryan Chamberlin
60

I own a 1992 Honda accord mine died on me driving one night....wouldn't start back up...I did everything this page suggested fuel pump, fuel filter ,battery terminal, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets , fuel relay, distributor checked all fuses...all in all $330.00 did all the work myself...and it still don't want to start...you can hear that she wants too....I like the car only 170,000 ...but im stumped its a black hole for money

Kenneth Alvarez Diaz
20

the same thing happens to my 2001 hyundai elantra but the mechanic said it was because a malfunction with the crankshaft positioning sensor

jedmiles228
30

I have 1996 Honda accord it will work fine and also it will stop pulling if I put my car neutral and turn offs and cranky back up and start back working fine now it want pull at all

yesjesusknows
30

My 1998 Honda Accord had the same random shutting off problem. After $400 of wires, distributor,spark plugs and the O2 sensor. The issue continued.Joshua your post was right on the money. I jiggled my key and the car shut off. Installed a new ignition switch and BINGO! The car runs like it should. Thanks

Hector Orozco
20

i have a 1995 honda odyssey, and some times wen driving, start feel weak and shut off, and after some minutes is possible starting again and drive, but feel weak, if i push the gas pedal shut off, i have to let go slow and i can run far but if i try to drive as normal good conditions goin off, i change the distributor cap an rotor but still do same thing, so am still looking for a solution to this issue.

Lj Church
0

95-civic dx- b18 non-vtec 1) Motor ran very good but once I got hot and was turned off it would not start back up until at room temperature Have a good buddy in which I just did his BA team swap so I buy his own EC you for his Honda that I had different realtor but it plug-and-play in my car all are waiting on the other to get sent back. Have a good buddy in which I just did his BA team swap so I buy his old EC you for his Honda that I had different realtor but it plug-and- play in my car all I waiting on the other to get sent back was just curious what causes this problem as far as engine not starting back up as supposed to ??????

willawinks
20

Noticed for 1 year my 1999 Honda Accord was shutting off while driving in traffic at top speed and so forth. It was told to Pep Boyz where by my starter was changed, wires and s.plugs. it ran great w/o shutting off for 2-3 mths. It shut off last week, still starts up and will run and I can drive it but I know it will shut down whenever. I contacted a mechanic who worked for my husband 15-20 yrs ago. soon as I told him IMMEDIATELY SAID IT'S YOUR D.CAP. HONDA IS KNOWN FOR THIS PROBLEM. HE LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD AND SAID SEE ITS LEAKING. HE DIDN'T SAY IT COULD BE ANYTHING ELSE. *** I WILL CHECK THE IGNITION SWITCH AND IF SHUTS OFF, I WILL CALL HONDA TO SEE IF THERE IS A RECALL ON THE IGNITION SWITCH. *** when I get work done, I will let the site know how I made out.

5549856
0

I HAVE A 1996 HONDA ACCORD.EVERYTIME I SLOW DOWN IT SHOUT OFF