Can the trunk be opened through the hood? 99 Accord

Shrine02
0

Asked by Shrine02 Sep 30, 2013 at 07:29 AM about the 1999 Honda Accord LX V6

There have been 3 attempted breakins into my trunk. The first and third times were
successful. First time they stole all of my audio equipment. Second time I saw the wires
were pulled out from under my drivers side wheel frame and a wire was cut in the inside
of my hood but they couldn't get access to my trunk. Now tonight my alarm went off and I
saw they dented my hood (it won't latch anymore) and my trunk was wide open.
Thankfully I hadn't anything to steal.
I want to know how getting access to my hood gets access to my trunk and what I can do
to prevent this from happening again.

DavidH25

The low-life creeps thief's were possibly trying to steal your car, not just get in the trunk that time. The 1999 Honda Accord is the most stolen car in 2010, 2nd most in 2011, and 2nd again in 2012, second only to the '99Camry and '98 Honda Civic Third most. Your car is a target by simply being what it is. All I am trying to say is that may be why they wanted the hood open. There is a trick to getting past the immobilizer in the engine compartment and your alarm is probably why it was still even there in your parking place. Can you set up a surveillance camera? They might be back....the parts for the late 90's Toyotas and Hondas are in great demand, these cars are so reliable there are very few in junkyards. To make a suggestion that you asked about preventing it from happening again... There are cameras not too expensive, $100 or less and even dummy cameras real cheap that are motion detectors that flash a strobe, like a still pic was shot, the as$H@)^# will then split... and get some light on the car at night. A well lit parking place is a good deterrent.

DavidH25

I had the wrong numbers for 2012. But my point stands:The most stolen vehicles by number of reported thefts nationwide in 2012 were: 1. Honda Accord: 58,596 2. Honda Civic: 47,037 3. Ford Pickup (full-size): 26,770 4. Chevrolet Pickup (full-size): 23,745 5. Toyota Camry: 16,251

Shrine02
0

Thanks David the camera idea is a really good one, but unfortunately I don't have an assigned spot and try to park it as close to my apt window as possible. Last night it was parked under a light and 1 car away from my window so I could easily see the trunk was opened when I heard the alarm. I think they are targeting me for my audio equipment b/c they opened the trunk. Do you think they can open the trunk from the hood? Or did they gain entry into my car? The lever I use for my hood doesn't work anymore either.