2000 honda accord

Jim Edkin
35

Asked by Jim May 27, 2010 at 04:08 PM about the 2000 Honda Accord EX

I have a 2000 accord 4 door ex, I am getting a thumping rattling under the front end over bumps. Car drives straight and feels good other wise?

Jim Edkin
35

are there strut bearings at the top of the tower?

Erich Barthel
75

sounds like sway bar links.

Durrail King
35

Could be a loose heat shield or a broken/worn sway bay end link. Is it a higher pitched rattle or more of a thump? a higher pitch rattle would be a result of the heat shield. The thumping could be the latter. One other thing to check is the exhaust hangers. make sure that they are intact and if there are rubber (o)-(o) <- shaped hangers, make sure that they are not brittle or broken.

Durrail King
35

Not bearings but bushings. Bearing are used, for the most part, for rotating components. Bushings are for static but load bearing components. They are rubber or polyurethane that is sandwiched between say the strut and the frame as a last bit of give for the rest of the suspension. They protect the frame from twisting or otherwise deforming if the suspension is forced to move in a direction other than vertical.

Jim Edkin
35

thanks durrail, ill check it out, the reason I asked about strut bearings is the older ford taurus, 92 era, would make noise when you turned the steering wheel cause by strut bearings, but thanks for the info

Jim Edkin
35

deffinatley not a heat sheild, dealt with tons of them as a ford tech, stronger thumping noise, medium to light feeling?

Heidi Hancock
25

I have a 95 Honda Accord and I am having the same problem accept when I go over bumps in the road it has started effecting the stearing a little. I had it checked out and was told it was the upper ball joints. So, you might wanna have them looked at.

Tom Martin
5

the front control arm bushings will make that noise i have replaced several on civics and accords