2001 tarus started to shake and then it stopped. Will not go in any gear but reverse. Help

barwick
10

Asked by barwick Sep 03, 2012 at 01:47 PM about the 2001 Ford Taurus SES

My son was going to drive it to work after he had ptu a new water pump on it to try  it out. He got on the road real good and  everything was going find,then all of a sudden the car started to shake real bad and came to a stop.He couldn't get it to go in any gear but reverse. That is how it is sitting now. Any suggestions?

123,745

How is the transmission fluid? Full? How about the coolant? The two might have mixed as there are trans coolant lines in the radiator. Or the transmission just decided to fail. I can't diagnose on this page and you'll need to have a local mechanic take a look at it to verify your issue. But in the meantime try disconnect the negative battery cable for 15mins and reattach to clear the computer, see if that helps first. If the car runs and shifts, then it's a sensor issue. Good Luck!

Best Answer
barwick
10

Thats Ill try that.

barwick
10

The transmission fluid was 2 quarts low, which when I got the car we checked all the fluids and everything was full. I haven't drove it but three times in the two months that I've had it. My son filled it up with transmission fluid and it went into gear. But when he trys to drive it it goes real slow until it changes into I think he said the 6th gear and then it moves on out. Do you think that changing the fluid and the filter and finding the leak would be the problem? Its got to have a leak because too much fluid was gone.